1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Does anyone crash diet before Vegas trips?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by MinnesotaMike, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being pool season and coming off a few months of being lazy I've gained an extra few pounds. So as I am about 30 days out from next Vegas trip was wondering your tricks to "crash dieting"? As men are usually picked on for wearing a thong at the pool I thought I better tone up a little if I was going to do so!

2. MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fyi... Just teasing about the thong! Really I was! ;-)

3. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh I see, Minnesota Mike not Magic Mike. I was getting excited!!:beer:

4. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm always dieting so - yes. A word of caution about crash dieting before Vegas. Eating really healhy and lean before you go and then switching to "Vegas" food, your system can revolt and baaaaaaddddd things can happen :)

5. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Diet- kind of. I hit the treadmill to get prepared for all the walking...also try to get the clothes I plan on wearing while there to be looser...to offset the buffet eating.

6. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have a crash diet. I usually try to eat healthy all around and generally keep in shape. This year, I tried to just simply exercise more and it's helped tremendously.

7. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always try to keep within my grappling competition weight by 10 lbs so I usually just do the same cut regime before a trip.

Cosmo Christmas
  8. earth-3

earth-3 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think my food choices in Las Vegas are my weight problem. I think the alcohol packs it on. When you look at all the calories in most drinks, it's quite high. Since I don't drink at all, except in Las Vegas, my metabolism gets thrown off. Any suggestions on low calorie drinks?

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mike, months if not years of sloth are tough to reverse in 30 days, but I did it a few years back prior to a big meeting and lost 20 lbs. in 45 days using low fat, low carb, high protein diet. No booze, lean meats, grapefruit, no potatoes or pasta, plenty of veggies and leafy salads. This was the Scarsdale Diet and your body goes into ketosis burning fat as it metabolizes protein. Walking for 30-45 minutes a day would increase your basal metabolic rate and you trick your body into burning more calories to accommodate the increased activity.

I think I read somewhere that alcohol turns into glucose quickly as it is metabolized and when the body does not need the fuel, the glucose is converted and stored as fat for later. Unfortunately, later never comes and love handles, beer bellies, and man boobs magically appear.

If all else fails, get a belly-sucking man girdle and keep your shirt on, skip the pool, put the room darkening drapes to good use.

Needless to say, I put the 20 back on plus some more for good measure.

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Club soda with a lime, very refreshing! But for all the benefits of alcohol, go for a Rum and diet coke.

11. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes.

This is the way to go. It takes discipline and a lot of setbacks, but it can be done.

I changed my eating habits to a healthy diet all year round.

When I gave in to a food that I told myself I would not eat or eat less of I would tell myself, "That is ok, try again next time." Sometimes I would give in 10 times to a food and tell myself the same thing. Eventually, the discipline came and I was able to eliminate or reduce the amount I ate.

A good idea is to buy a scale for portion control. Weigh everything possible for one or one and a half servings. An example is I would sometimes eat too many tortilla chips. I started weighing 1.5 oz on the scale. With mayonnaise, I measure in a teaspoon or table spoon. Cereal in a measuring cup. Etc., etc, etc.

It is ok to be a little hungry sometimes and not eat. I learned to deal with the hunger pangs.

I eat a lot of these when I am hungry.

http://www.wasa-usa.com/whole-grain.aspx

12. bdlee73

bdlee73 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been eating paleo/primal style for the last few months: I pretty much eat a lot of fat, protein, vegetables, and a little fruit. The new eating lifestyle along with exercise has done wonders for my body composition. Since I planned my Vegas trip a few weeks ago for 7/28 I have upped my workouts and cut my drinking way back so I can look a little better for the pool :thumbsup: - I've been hiking/walking a a lot along with pushups, pullups, squats, and planks and my body has responded very well!

13. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is what we do.
    This means our entire Vegas trip is like one long "cheat meal".
    When we return its back to eating properly.
    With this method, even the eating binge in Vegas only has a minimal effect.

14. MangoPort

MangoPort Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally keep fit but Vegas does a number on my body. Since I barely sleep in Vegas and I'm always gambling, eating and drinking I can easily put on 5-6 lbs during a week so I like to really ramp up my exercise beforehand. I'll also lift heavy while I'm in Vegas and just tell myself I'm "bulking".

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.