1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do tell about people losing their jobs over the "$20 trick".

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by sco5123, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a rhetoric I hear about all over the internet.

Please share all your stories about front desk employees losing their jobs because of this tip.

2. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    im sure a lot of it is just talk, but at somewhere that they hard sell (mgm for example) an upgrade for a fee at check in i could see it. As giving away a premium product for extra tip is pretty much the same as stealing.. (if you assume they could have sold you an upgrade or sold it to someone else). It's just like the bartender pouring you a double and charging you since price + tip.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its alot easier to say i will lose my job then it is to say no, i really dont personally like you and dont want to hook you up.

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think people will be able to since the user base of this board is made up almost entirely of end customers, not hotel employees.

On top of that, if somebody did lose a job because they gave somebody a room upgrade in exchange for a "tip" its not like the end customer would know - a manager isn't going to come out of the back and fire the employee on the spot. Companies, especially big ones, have to protect themselves from wrongful dismissal lawsuits so they would instead write the employee up and after so many infractions (where maybe one is enough) call the employee in for a review before letting them go. So it wouldn't be anything the end customer would see.

For stories that are out there the problem will also be that you will only be hearing one side of the story. Could be somebody is soliciting for tips for a room upgrade or "sellilng" a room upgrade and pocketing the added charge as a "tip" but could also be something entirely different that got them fired but they are blaming it on giving out a "$20 trick" room upgrade.

5. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This!

Finally have the room booked! Look for me Feb 21-23
  6. scohitch

scohitch Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas is built on premium service for tip. I can't see anyone getting fired for upgrading a room based on a tip, provided they aren't pocketing a charged upgrade fee. The two are very different. I tip waitresses and dealers well so when they pour premium alcohol, it's because I tip well, not my bet value. And when premium alcohol stops, I know it's because they think they've done their part, no hard feelings.

7. martinr

martinr High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is the potential for a check in clerk in a given shift at 20.00 per "tip" to be upgraded? Let's say each one checks in 5 guests per hour and they work 8 hours. That would be 40 guests total. Let's say 10% of those new guests offer the 20.00. That would be 4 guests potentially at 20.00 each yielding 80.00 per shift per clerk. Of course, this is only speculation and guesswork. Unless I am totally off base, this is not a huge problem and shouldn't be considered a threat to anyone's job future. The only issue is that rooms that could be sold at a higher nightly rate could be producing less revenue just so the clerk could "line their pockets" with tips. After all, what generates more revenue for properties, rooms or gambling?

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
  8. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see this mentioned a lot on the other Vegas board when people get into knock down drag out arguments over the subject but I don't believe it.

I have done this a couple times and the clerks, on a two occasions, had their managers standing right there and they didn't hide what they were doing.

9. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few contacts (property and corporate level) I have in LV mentioned that people have gotten fired for this before, it's just harder to fire those who are unionized. This is more property-dependent since some management teams care about this more than others. (ex. Four Seasons - you don't hear many successful upgrade stories at this property, unless you pay the upgrade fee. Many hotels offer commissions to their FD agents and a portion of the upgrade fee is one of them.

10. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never tried the $20 trick, but I'm open to the idea. Wouldn't it be easy for the accountants to see that John Doe made reservations for a certain type of room but then received a better one with no increase in the fee? I assume the clerks every move on their computers are monitored through their own logon procedures. Wouldn't this make the clerks nervous? I've always wondered what their motivation is, besides $20, to take such a risk? Just curious......

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
  11. user3657

user3657 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have tried the $20 trick two times and both times it was handed back to me.."oh I dont know sir, I dont think we can do that". I have had better luck flat out asking if any upgrades were available or a handful of times I did not ask for anything and was simply offered if I would like an upgrade with no additional cost.

I would imagine that the hotel loses if an upgrade is given out at no additional cost, and that it could be a written policy for termination. Im sure it could be a way to terminate an unwanted employee.

At my part time job, this is one of our policies. Is it followed? no. Could I openly accept a tip with my manager around, sure...but if someone didnt like me im sure that would be my ticket out the door.

12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A response from some one on the inside:

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess is that if you were a fly on the wall in the typical employee lunch room, you would hear all kinds of chit-chat about guests trying the $20 trick and what they did or did not do for the guest.

14. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This very issue nearly destroyed the TripAdvisor LV forum in it's first couple years. There was a local expert who claimed to be a hotel manager for one of the top tier hotels. As it was around when Wynn opened and the guy claimed a connection to Steve Wynn personally, the clues he gave suggested he was at Bellagio or Mirage. He said he fired a clerk for the $20 trick but the situation was the customer was booked into a standard room and had bribed his way into a a big suite upgrade. A bunch of trolls ran him off the board calling him liar and there was a civil war leading to all the local experts leaving. I had no reason to doubt him because I think a reasonable manager would be pissed over the situation he described.

So could someone get fired over it? Sure. But it would be a situation where what they did cost the hotel a crapload of money. I think most of the upgrades to rooms with a view or just into the next best room class are kinda preapproved to some extent everyday with the clerks having discretion on who gets them.

15. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That TA forum is a very snarky place...like some people are outright mean there. Do not like.

16. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Come On, You Blues!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grain of salt, son.

17. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, nobody has ever been fired for accepting a tip. People are disciplined for it on a regular basis (write up or verbal, whatever) and depending on their disciplinary record they may get fired because it puts them past their final warning.

CET policy states you can accept a tip AFTER the room has been upgraded but you can't solicit for it. It's murky water though. I personally know of a couple of cases where someone has tipped, then gone complaining to management that their 1,200 sq ft suite isn't a good enough upgrade for 20 bucks for 7 nights and then the agent has got a write up for it.

I really hope none of the VMB users are the type of asshole I hear about on a regular basis.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.