1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dig This - anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Kickin, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I was looking at this thing: http://www.digthisvegas.com/

You get to play with huge construction machinery. Sounds like fun! Has anyone done it? Any suggestions or thoughts on it?

2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That does look like fun. Costly, but fun. I'd do it.

Bill

3. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done this and it is an excellent experience!

You can choose from the excavator or the bulldozer. Make sure you choose the excavator. You can do so much more with it than with the bulldozer. Also, note that you want one of the two excavators that have the "thumb grip" on the bucket. I don't remember what it's called, but it's what allows you to grip the big rubber tires.

Each person in your group is put into a vehicle and given a headset that allows you to communicate with each other as well as with the staff member assigned to you. The staff member instructs each person on what to do, eggs the group, members on to complete and make it fun, and is in charge of taking tons of pictures with your camera.

You get to dig a giant hole. You get to fill in a hole. You get to scurry around the lot in full control of your excavator. You get to pick up giant tires to stack into a pyramid. Best of all, you get to go up on a ramp to play "basketball". I screwed up a couple times and popped a few basketballs like they were water balloons.

It's so much fun with amazing staff members. The price is a bit steep, but them sometimes have Groupons to help with the cost. If you consider how much you pay to shoot an assault rifle at the ranges around Vegas, the $200-$300 for 2-3 hours of fun operating an excavator is well worth it.

4. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Great advice ah6tyfour, it sounds even better than I expected! I guess it makes more sense to do as a group thing though right? I was thinking about doing it on my next trip which will just be two of us so maybe I'll hold off until a guys trip.

I love that there are so many different things you do. When I first heard about it I thought it was just digging a big hole which sounded awesome enough.

5. josassoc

josassoc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fun....

My hubs and his friend did it last visit and had a great time. Look to groupon for a discount of $119, instead of the normal $249 cost.

6. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now we're talkin'. I'll watch for that.

Bill

7. coralrush

coralrush Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thisclose to buying tickets for it for my DH and I - only heard good things on tripadvisor - except hubby doesn't want to go (and I don't want to go enough to do it alone). Anyhoo, vouchers are available on eBay every now and then that have been cheaper than the Groupon rate, if not available.

8. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I forgot I had responded in this thread and didn't check back.

When I did Dig This in 2012, they owned three excavators and two of those three had the thumb grip thing I was talking about. So it's actually perfect for two people. My buddy and I were each in an excavator with the grip and we had headsets to talk between the two of us and with our instructor. To this day we debate about who dug the deeper hole.

If you have three people, one will be in the non-grip excavator and would have to miss out on some activities (although I bet they have it figured out where you guys would rotate and each get time to do the activities that can only be done with the grip).

The bulldozer seems like a good idea, but if you think about it, a bulldozer can really only do one thing. So the person I saw in the bulldozer was driving back and forth moving piles of dirt. Still fun, but a couple hours of that might be tedious to the point of feeling like actual work.

9. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had this idea several years ago. I thought it would be fun for kids birthdays, but with those really small bobcats. Older kids of course.

I worked one summer during college for the university's landscape department. They asked if I had ever operated a backhoe. I never had, but I said, "Sure, but I'll need a quick refresher course." :evillaugh

It was great. For three weeks I was like a kid in a sandbox. I would drive my dump truck up to a big pile of dirt and use the backhoe to fill it. Then I would drive it to dump it where the new pile of dirt was suppose to be.

I never got tired "playing" at that.

10. TinkToo

TinkToo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I did this last year. I booked him a bulldozer and when we arrived they had an excavator that was free so they let me book that for $99, which was a great deal. We had a blast! I would highly recommend Dig This! At the time they had two bulldozers and three excavators.

11. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Book well in advance. Not long ago it was booked 2 to 3 months. They said they had a big "corporate run" where entire offices were booking as a team building exercise.

12. tldbucs

tldbucs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done it twice. Both times found deals on Groupon and Ebay. Well worth it and would and probably will do it again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.