1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Did the Southwest card update

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dewey089, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I bit on the upgrade offer for the Southwest card. The new one is $100 a year, but it all comes back in travel value. The card also has no fees for out of country charges and we go to France in November so that is a good deal. Seemed easy enough to do.

2. nubia11

nubia11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm planning to upgrade as well. Seems like a decent deal and we are hoping to get to Europe in 2013 so the zero conversion fee is definitely appealing.

3. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be careful with that SWA credit card update.

We also thought it was a good deal ... going from a $59 annual fee, and 3000 RR points (worth $50), up to a $99 fee, with an increase to 6000 annual RR points (worth $100), plus the 1500 bonus RR points (worth $25) with your first purchase.

HOWEVER ... we had just renewed our existing $59 card on Aug. 1 (including the 3000 points) ... so we "assumed" we could upgrade for the $40 difference, and also get the "additional" 3000 points. Well, the agent said the $40 increase would be correct, but we would not get any additional points until our next anniversary, next August, at which time we would then pay the full $99, and then receive the full 6000 points.

Soooooo ... we would in effect be paying $40 extra now, and get nothing for it, except the 1500 point bonus. Paying $40 for a $25 bonus just doesn't make any mathematical sense.

We told the agent we were no longer interested ..... :grrr:

4. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did it and I was refunded my "unused portion" of last years annual fee.

Heading to Europe in late March so I am really happy to avoid those fees!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.