1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dexter - Series Finale

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by alicia, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alicia

alicia Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am so disappointed in how it all ended. I've been a loyal watcher since the beginning, and this is how they end it?? Deb dead (which I can see), but Dexter as a lonely lumberjack, after faking his death? :rolleyes2:

Seriously, the worst series finale I've seen (other than Lost, of course). Thoughts?

2. Hoowaa

Hoowaa Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't disagree with you. The entire final season was painful to watch though.

Probably should have expected it.

3. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried to watch dexter a few times but it creeped me out too much. But i still watched the last 30 mins of the finale last night. I told my husband, "he'll probably kill himself on the finale". Nope, the fake death thing with the creepy look that said "It's not over." meh

4. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been a Dexter addict since day 1. The whole season was strange and not at all what I would've expected. I was upset that most of Miami Metro - their storylines were just kind of kept hanging...Matthews, Jamie, Angel, Masuka (wasn't even IN the finale!) and Quinn....Quinn...I really wanted Quinn to have a huge part in the last episode. He deserves his moment after getting such crappy storylines for the last few years. But nope.

I did cry when Deb was pronounced brain dead and they did the flashback but I thought I would have a much more emotinal reaction to the final minutes. I was disappointed that it wasn't this way.

I was hoping Dex would jump in with Deb and end it all. That's how it should've ended.

The only thing I can say is that I can understand just a tiny bit why Dex faked his death - because His survival instinct is too strong. Have you ever known Dex to not get out of something like that? How bout the last time he was out at sea and the boat exploded?

I feel bad for Deb, she got screwed. She wasn’t even conscious to hear Dex say those 3 words that she always wanted to hear him say.

All in all, I still love Dexter – he was a total doofus in the last season but MCH is such a “killer” actor (pun intended)! I could watch him read the back of a cereal box and be completely enthralled.

Scott Buck better watch his back. I'd be posting guards outside his house if I were him....so many angry fans!

40th Birthday Bash!
  5. blue808

blue808 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dexter

What really upset me about the final episode was how Dexter treats Deb after he kills her. Deb may have been declared brain dead, but she was on life support with no mandate as far as we know for a DNR or ending of her treatment. Dexter took it upon himself to unhook her from life support, waited for her to die, then steal her away from the hospital, take her out to sea and throw her overboard.

This is something Dexter does to his victims, criminals and murderers who deserve their fate, according to The Code.

Deb did not deserve to be treated this way. She built a honorable career (to a point) at Miami Metro, was an accomplished investigator and respected member of the force. She deserved to be honored by her collegues and the city for all the good she did. I bet she would have gotten more recognition than that park bench that LaGuerta got. Dexter denied her that. That is not an expression of love in my book.

JMHO...

6. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another here thinking the ending sucked.

But at the very end I couldn't help but hear, at least in my head, Dexter's last voice-over
    "I never liked killing people anyway, I always wanted to be... a LUMBERJACK!
    I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, I work all day"
    :evillaugh

7. weluvvegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hated that too and had the same thoughts, as most viewers did. I think the writers had another reason for it - they were trying to symbolize that Dexter eventually kills everyone who was close enough to love him. He sent her off the same as all the other victims he killed. I'm totally not saying this was a good choice for those writers but I think that might be why they did it.

JC (Jennifer Carpenter) did say that she was very happy with the way Deb "ended" so possibly there was more meaning behind it than we realize.

40th Birthday Bash!
  8. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Count me as a Dexter fan as well.

My take on it was the ending was unpleasant - but the writers succeeded in keeping Dexter's character intact. In other words, I think the way he handled his sister was exactly what his character would do. It fit.

Bill

9. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This whole season was awful, capped off by a stupid, unsatisfying finale.

I'm seriously in shock that they couldn't have come up with anything more interesting for the FINAL SEASON. There was absolutely nothing compelling happening this season. There should have been a season-long villain like the show used to do in the early days and there should have been a bigger threat of someone finding out and/or exposing his true identity.

Seasons 1-4 were GREAT.

After that, the show went downhill and never recovered.

10. weluvvegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's because Dexter's showrunner Clyde Phillips left after 4. There is a great conversation between CP and the fans on reddit - if you get a chance. He also told of the ending that he always had in mind for the show on dexterdaily.com It's much better than what really happened.

I also had a great idea for the last season...maybe if I get time I'll post later. I think the current writers, Scott Buck and the lady (can't remember her name) are having regrets now judging by a recent interview they gave in response to the fans' outrage!

Interesting how one TV show can bring out such emotions in people. I mean...it's just TV right? That's what my husband was telling me as I was crying at the part where Quinn and Dex find out about Deb's stroke. But seriously, I watched religiously for 8 seasons and would literally stop all aspects of life for an hour every Sunday. It's amazing how powerful one show can be, even if it is fiction!

40th Birthday Bash!
  11. Jurko

Jurko Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dexter turned into crap in season 5 :(

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.