1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Destination: San Antonio

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ClownHo, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My next trip is in the near future, to San Antonio. I have never been to San Antonio, but I made my first trip to Texas last year and enjoyed my time in Dallas. I will be spending three nights in the Riverwalk area. I already have a few things planned, such as visiting the Alamo and the Tower of the Americas. And part of the trip is simply to enjoy some relaxation in an environment where parkas are not necessary. No, there's nothing wrong with a parka, I don't mean to offend the parka lovers here. I've simply seen enough of mine this winter.

Anyone with San Antonio vacation experience? Feel free to share your thoughts or impressions. I know I've traded a coupon with a San Antonio resident in the past. So somebody must have some fond or not-so-fond impression of the city.

2. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to San Antonio many times on business and stay at the Marriott on the Riverwalk when I get the chance.

The restaurants along the Riverwalk vary in quality. I highly suggest looking at the TripAdvisor reviews as some of them are quite bad, some good. It's been a couple years since I've stayed there so I can't remember which is which. Yelp is another option. I do remember prices on the high side.

It is is very safe area during the day and early evening but if you are alone, drunk and stray away from the area at night it can be sketchy. I stayed at a Marriott a couple blocks away one time and walked to/from the Riverwalk and noticed some less than upstanding characters in the area. I'm always well protected (read that anyway you wish) wherever I go so I was fine. Be cautious late at night.

Hookers walk the Riverwalk too except they are really skanky! Usually see them after 10 pm.

In short it's pretty nice and family friendly until the counter culture arrives.

If you have a car, on the Southwest side of the city there is a huge flea market on the weekends. A quick internet search can get you the address. I usually find some cool stuff there.

Enjoy their nice warm weather! Hope you like country & western music!

3. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, so I won't start a new thread: Yelp vs. Trip Advisor

I tend to look at Yelp for local reviews. I tend to look at TA for opinions of tourists. Wrong approach?

(I've heard negative thing about Yelp's business approach, but that's another thread.)

I'll be staying at an expensive Embassy Suites on the Riverwalk, so access to everything will be easy and relatively immediate. The cost of one night at ES Riverwalk is more than I spend for four or five nights when I stay in Vegas, but that goes without saying.

No car, three nights around the Riverwalk.

4. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your in the mood for a great steak you should try Bohanan's which is just down the street from your hotel. Downtown is very easy to get around and the city blocks are nothing like the blocks on the strip. Not sure when your trip is but Fiesta runs from April 10-27 which gives you alot of options on different things to do. It's like a big party with multiple parades. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Mark

5. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm heading out tomorrow, actually. And thanks to the miracle of wi-fi and my short attention span, I'll be reading things that don't involve a several hour commitment. I read books, but magazines and exhaustive trip reports are more my style, just as I prefer two hour movies to 62-episode TV series like Breaking Bad.

6. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to SA back in 2005 and remember the site www.sanantonioinsider.com being helpful. I haven't looked at the site since then, but it is still there. HTH

7. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    San Antonio: a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to vacation there.

The River Walk is pretty nifty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.