1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Denver Recommendations

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Its Only Money, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Its Only Money

Its Only Money Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm headed to Denver next weekend, just for fun and am looking for some recommendations on places to eat and can't miss spots. I will be there Thursday afternoon, all day Friday and all day Saturday. I have a noon flight out on Sunday, so not much time then. I took advantage of Frontier's New Year's eve sale and caught a 20.15 fare from Cleveland to Denver, couldn't pass it up. I rented a car and am not opposed to driving out of the city for things.

Thanks in advance.

I need one more trip to up my frequent flier level
  2. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Denver resident here. The answer to your question would totally depend upon your interests and budget. Can you be more specific? What kind of food are you looking for? What do you enjoy? (gambling? shopping? museums? skiing?) We have it all, so you are going to have to narrow it down.

You might start with TripAdvisor, and do a search for Denver, Co. Let us know which things you want more information about.

3. Its Only Money

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even though we are in January, I would rather spend more time outside than in probably. The mountains are beautiful and there is nothing that can compare in the Midwest. I have been debating making a trek out to a ski resort for the day either Friday or Saturday, but am not sure if that would be a waste of a day. If I did make the two hour trek to Breckenridge (I think that's the closest area to Denver) are there other places to stop on the way there or back? Are Red Rocks and Garden of the Gods doable in January? I'm not opposed to museums, is there a really cool or different one to see?

As for food, budget for a nice dinner is 100 - 150, we aren't drinkers so that can go a long way. Anything that really screams this is Denver. A steak place, or fine Italian or Mexican will do us well. We aren't food snobs and can appreciate a hole in the wall as well as as Place like Jean Georges.

4. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mountain traffic on weekends is not for those in a hurry. Skip the ski resorts unless skiing is your main focus. Garden of the Gods is in Colorado Springs - too far IMO. Red Rocks is a summer venue.

You'll need Google maps for this: Consider driving US highway 6 from Golden to Blackhawk. This is Clear Creek Canyon - very pretty. Do some gambling in Blackhawk. Check out Central City. Take Central City Parkway to I-70 and head West 2 miles. Check out Idaho Springs for lunch, souvenir shopping, or relaxing in the hot springs/caves. Return on I-70 back to Denver. (Beware of heavy returning ski traffic in late afternoons on Saturday/Sunday.)

If you decide to work in a night up in Blackhawk, Ameristar has the nicest rooms, hands down. Other places are just okay.

Denver has too many good restaurants to shake a stick at. For starters, I'd recommend Root Down or Stueben's. Use Trip Advisor and Yelp for additional help for restaurants. Have drinks in Larimer Square.

If there is time, check out the Denver Art Museum (Cartier exhibit). And if you really want to cram it in, see what's playing at the Denver Center For Performing Arts.

That should keep you busy for two days.

5. Its Only Money

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.