1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dental Problem

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I read somewhere that drug dependency and suicide rates are much higher among dentists than one finds in the general population. Maybe there's a national organization that your old guy needs to be reported to, possibly for his own good. I hope your new dentist is competent, but if not, stop listening to us about this and ask locally.

I'm worried because my dentist is older than I am. He's still good, but someday he's going to take down the shingle. When that day comes, the cheapest dentist is not going to get my call.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No help to Breeze. I have no wisdom teeth left, they were all surgically removed when I was in my 20s.

Anyway, I have this giant filling in the top back that is a food magnet. To avoid a crown my dentist keeps trying to patch the part where the food gets trapped. The filling falls out about every 6-8 months and back I go. He keeps saying if this doesn't work, we'll have to look at a crown.

This has gone on now over two years and just happened again last week. Fifth time in to replace the filling and he never charges me to replace it. I think it has become a mission for him to get this filling to work.

No complaints from me!!

One more dentist story. My dentist doesn't do root canal and I needed one before getting a crown. It was supposed to be a two day procedure for the root canal. He gave me the option of doing it all in one day, or quitting for the day and coming back. I said lets just go on and he knocked close to $400 off the procedure. No dental insurance.

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The reason it usually takes two or three visits to do a root canal and crown is:

Visit 1: Root canal and temporary filling

Visit 2: Make sure there haven't been any problems after the anesthetic wore off and since visit 1. File down the tooth to make a "post" for the crown, and then put on a temporary crown while the permanent crown is fabricated in a lab.

Visit 3: Take off the temporary crown and fit the permanent crown and make sure the fit and bite are correct.

You basically did visit 1 and 2 without any period in between. If it was a while ago, and you haven't had any problems with your bite, you're probably good for now, but you probably have what would normally be considered a temporary crown.

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Q: You know the difference between a Dentist and a Sadist, don't you?
    A: Newer magazines

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I must say that I am sort of happy with the new dentist. It is a practice with 6 dentists and I was fortunate enough to be assigned to a lady dentist, mid to late 30's, not too bad on the eyes. She explains both before and during any procedure what is going on. This is 1000 times better than the other guy, which was a DMO and they just sort of crank patients in and out on an assembly line.

It's going to be okay. It's sticker shock and losing this year's Vegas trip. That hurts. If I were still working, it really wouldn't be a problem. Trying to get by on 60% of my former salary is a problem, but you know, I still make more than a lot of less fortunate people.

It will be okay and I will appreciate my next Vegas trip that much more.:peace:

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The root canal guy did step 1, then steps 2 & 3 were done by my regular dentist. It is a permanent crown that was done 5 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.