1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dental Problem

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This might be difficult to explain in writing, but here goes.

I have been going to the same dentist for 21 years. He did a lot of work on me in the early years and I didn't have any real problems. Gradually, his work has gotten shoddier, with an ill-fitting bridge (since corrected after a good deal of discomfort) and an ill-fitting crown. He has also gotten a bit heavy-handed and sloppy and I believe that he twice went into my mouth without gloves.

About 2 months ago I broke a tooth, the narrow one just to the right of the front teeth. I was fitted for a crown. The temporary crown did not last one day.

When the new crown was installed, it was cemented in. It did not last a day. On 3 subsequent trips back (20 miles each way), he again attempted to cement it back in place after cutting grooves in the stub of the original tooth.

On the fourth try, he made a sort of inner tooth (poor description, I know) and cemented the crown over that.

We had a somewhat intense discussion before this last procedure because I was $675 co-pay into this and I was getting pissed. He said there was no charge.

Well, this crown was okay, for awhile. Then I got a statement from his office for a $5 co-pay. I know it was only 5 bucks but the principle of the whole thing made me very angry. I paid the 5 bucks and wrote a nasty note in which I called him incompetent and told him he was fired.

Well, guess what? This morning during breakfast, the crown fell out again.

What are my options? I refuse to go back to him although I'm damn sure going to let him know that it fell out again.

Will a new dentist reinstall the crown? Or will he want to start over? I do not want to come up with a nearly $700 co-pay all over again. Will I have to go back to the original dentist? Should I just forget about it and walk around looking like a hillbilly?

2. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You definitely need a new dentist, ask friends who they use and if one of them gets high praise go to him.

3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Teeth are very important. Out in the wild, an animal with bad teeth will die. Cost issues aside, if you're not happy with this dude's work, you don't go back to him. You get a new dentist. It's not vanity, it's a health issue.

4. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never had any dental issues so I don't know anything about crowns, bridges etc. What I do know is that this dentist should be reported because he should not be practicing on people if he has deteriorated to this level.

You should definitely seek out another dentist, and report the previous one so that he can't do this to anyone else.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You let your temper get the best of you over $5 and now you're screwed, but frankly you need a new dentist anyways. I'm guessing a new dentist would work to reinstall the crown. This can't be the first time a situation like this has arisen. I know you were kidding (I hope so anyways), but don't just leave it. Teeth are like feet, when they're not workin', everything seems messed-up!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  6. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just be carefull of some of these young guys

The ones that are recently in practice and have a mountain of debt in schooling and state of the art equipment. Next thing you know you need oral surgery and god knows what else. Also the big "self promoters" who have ads on radio,tv and everywhere ,these guys usually have
    big offices with lots of help ,somebody(you) has to pay for all this. I drive 70 miles to go to my guy who keeps me chewing without going crazy.

7. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. ajonate

ajonate Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Normally the old cement makes the crown a poor fit on the stump. They usually clean-up the stump and make an impression for a new crown. Typically the crown takes a week or so for the lab to fabricate, but it's possible that you can get it done as a rush job. They might re-cement the crown as a temporary measure, but I suspect its days will be numbered before it falls out again.

There's a clinic not far from the resorts (on Desert Inn near Maryland) that sees patients on short notice called Smiles Today. In fact they have a van that will come and get you at no charge, then take you back to your hotel when you're done. I went there for a dental emergency about 6 months ago and I was seen the same day, in fact in just a few hours after I called. I paid cash and prices were deeply discounted, and I think they take most insurance. You might call them and see what they can do. 702-655-6777

If you don't have any luck there you might try calling a few Absolute Dental clinics around town. They sometimes see patients on an emergency basis, and they do enough volume that they have their own lab.

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am definitely getting a new dentist. This guy was also fired by one of my friends over an insurance issue. Thanks again!

10. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a good option for many people due to the cost of the plane ticket but I recommend going to S. Korea. Even though I have insurance in the States, I really like my dentist in Korea. The cost of dental work and crowns is cheap versus what they charge in the States. For example, you can get a real gold crown for less money than what they charge in the States for a fake gold crown.

11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know you meant well, but that is sort of out of the question for me. Thanks, anyway. I'm still scheming ways to get back to Vegas this year. I don't think I will make it.

I'm going to go ahead and see what a different dentist can do. Two of my friends have recommended one that they use. I'm also restricted by who takes my insurance (Aetna) and if Medicare covers anything.

The Golden Years. Sure they are.....:faint:

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Avoid Absolute Dental. :poke::thumbsdown: They are some of the biggest crooks I have ever dealt with. All they want is your money.

I have pretty good teeth. I went in there for my 1st bi-annual cleaning after we moved to Las Vegas and they tried to tell me I had 13 cavities. I got my teeth cleaned & checked every 6 months before we moved to Vegas.

I didn't believe them, paid for the x-rays and went to this guy:
    Dr. Hermann Nguyen, DDS in the Centennial Hills area. After x-rays, no cavities!
    Beware of Absolute Dental.:poke::poke::thumbsdown:

Christmas
  13. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A little cheaper option than South Korea: Mexico. I know there are people on my Playa del Carmen message board who use a couple of different dentists there and are very satisfied.

Breeze, I hope the new dentist turns out to be a good one. I really lucked out here in Denver; a co-worker recommended a dentist to me after I basically fired my old one (who tried to scare me into having all my teeth with old fillings crowned) and I love this guy. In fact, I've gotten him 4 or 5 new clients - I've kinda lost count, LOL! EVERYONE I've referred to him loves him. He's old school, doesn't overcharge, does excellent work, and gives a discount to clients who don't have insurance.

14. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And still less yet is Budapest, Hungary. I had 12 crowns done, at about $120 each. My insurance paid 1/2, and I was able to write off the whole cost of the trip on my income tax. I went in the winter, and the entire trip was less than $3000 for 2 weeks, including dental work, hotel, air, food, etc. That was over 10 years ago, and they have not failed yet.

As far as the crown falling off, that is not uncommon. I had one of mine fall off when I returned to the states, and had a local dentist reinstall it after cleaning up the stub, for about $45.

15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, so far I've been sent to South Korea, Las Vegas, Mexico and Hungary for some simple dental work.

See, Sonya, what a good boy I have become!:wave:

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update:

I switched to the new dentist and in 2 weeks I have racked up $1100 in fees due to the old dentist put the crown over an abcess, so they had to take out the crown and do a root canal. Also, the crown next to the original one broke off and they had to do an extraction of the stump which was a total ordeal. So now I have to get another crown.

They also want to do another root canal and bridge replacement on the other side of my mouth to the tune of $2500. This and sundry other items is going to add up to $4000, which just so happens to be my gambling budget for my annual Vegas trip.

Needless to say, there will be no Vegas trip this year. I know this will sound weird, but I feel like my favorite girl just broke up with me.

And the kicker, last night while eating dinner, the crown fell out again.

17. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG Breeze! A root canal and no Vegas. If that's not God kicking you square in the gonads with a frozen steel toed work boot, I don't know what is. Wear a cup at all times is all I can say cuz that dude is sneaky.

I'm really sorry to hear it. I hope you get your teeth squared away. You have to be able to eat and devastate the ladies with your charming smile.

18. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why I went to Hungary. Dental problems are awful. Expensive, painful, and just not fun. My remaining teeth that were not done in Budapest are starting to fail. I just spent $3000 on them. It is time for another trip to Hungary and just have them all finished.

19. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :haha::haha::haha:

20. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm getting a crown also

I drive 140 miles rt. to go to my guy because I trust him to do the right thing. The crown is about 800 something,my Met life plan pays one third ,so I think I still owe him about $500. Sorry to hear about the 4K ,thats a bitch. Wonder what kind of dental work they do in Cuba?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.