1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Delta Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by majorminor, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorminor

majorminor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hoping some of you frequent flyers can help me out. Booked a flight with Delta a while back for me and wife. I've been checking online and there were options to upgrade to comfort plus and first class. First class upgrade online was for the entire trip and was very pricey. There were no options to use miles or upgrade just one portion of the trip. So I called and talked to a rep. Quickly found out that she couldn't upgrade me with miles on that flight (although I had enough miles) but she could put me on the waitlist. I said sure! There are still 10 first class seats out of 30 available for my flight on 4/19. Now when I check my ticket online it says upgrade requested and there are no longer options to pay for upgrade... So my questions are (whew)

When will I find out if we've been upgraded? Rep said anytime between now and the day of the flight...
    I don't see any links to this waitlist to see where I am and if I have any shot at the upgrade. Is it posted somewhere?

Hopefully someone has some experience with this and can help me out. Not a big deal if we don't upgrade but it would be nice to start the vacation out with a nice flight! First class would be a "first" for us :licklips:

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    medallion upgrades start 5 days before the flight or sometimes are only done right at the gate for prime flights.

never heard of requesting to upgrade with miles or how the priority of that works compared to the medallion upgrades, so no idea where you would fall on the list.

all I know is that I've been Platinum medallion for years and never once gotten an upgrade to or from Vegas. I get upgrades almost every other flight, but never Vegas.

so I would say, it's very unlikely for you.

3. majorminor

majorminor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info Shifter. I figured it was a long shot

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As Shifter wrote, there's usually a lengthy wait list for Medallion members - Diamond, Platinum, Gold, and Silver. Nonetheless, even with my lowly Silver status, I've gotten upgraded to first class from Vegas to Atlanta on a couple occasions. Ms. Gecko is Platinum Medallion, and even she gets upgrades only around a quarter of the time, and seldom from Vegas. Unfortunately, we're flying on a companion ticket on our upcoming trip, which excludes upgrades.

Did you know that Comfort Plus, as opposed to Economy Comfort (confusing isn't it?) now includes free drinks? Thanks to Ms. Gecko's status, I always get moved there when flying with her. But between the Sky Club in Atlanta and the Centurion Lounge in Vegas (and having to drive home from the airport), free drinks lose much their appeal.

5. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. Tellafriend

Tellafriend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try impossible.

7. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think Delta does upgrades for miles. I've seen the same thing with flights to Vegas so I usually just book FC with them. Can usually get it for a few hundred more total and worth the convenience and alcohol... Well worth it since I don't have any direct flights to Vegas from Austin.

That's good to know. I've had Gold with KLM which matches to something with Delta in the past. This year, I switched over to have my mileage credited to my Skymiles account so I may roll the dice and see how it goes. I should qualify for Silver on my next trip.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You, and the other 100 people in coach want an upgrade. As said, those with status jump to the front of the line. And even Platinum (100 flights a year, give or take) often do not get upgrades. As a past Plat for 5 years and now lifetime silver, I can tell you....

...bottom line - not gonna happen.

9. majorminor

majorminor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys... About what I expected. Found some more info online and confirmed that upgrades using miles would come after all the Elites so zero chance. I may wait a few days then find out if a paid upgrade is available and how much it would cost.

Thanks again!

10. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paid upgrade at this point is going to cost $200 change fee plus fare difference.

They gouge you big time.

Most Vegas flights during the week have about 40 medallions on the upgrade list and about 2 open seats.

It's really insane.

11. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, online you have to upgrade the entire trip. but you can call in to upgrade a single flight. I don't think you pay the change fee, but they do charge the difference to upgrade to the current fare bucket on offer, which may be quite high as your day of departure approaches. Still, though, if you didn't buy a deep discount ticket to begin with, it might be worth the call to see how much money they would charge just to upgrade that segment for the two of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.