1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker DDB VP question

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by DonD, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m playing DDB on Wizard of Odds website using the advise feature. It deals me the following:

6 S
    A H
    3 S
    J D
    Q S

I hold the A_J_Q and the advise thing says that this is not the best play.
    The advise feature says to hold the J-Q and discard the other three.
    Is there something that I’m missing or is it wrong?

I took a screen shot and printed it.

2. kiwiboy1

kiwiboy1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't say what paytable of DDB but in this case is probably doesn't matter. The correct hold is JQ offsuit as the website suggest. You never hold three high cards offsuited unless they are the KQJ or QJT and then only sometimes depending on the playable and other 2 cards.

So I guess you either thought the 3 high cards were the same suit or misunderstood the strategy.

3. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In DDB you never hold 3 high cards unless they are the same suit or unless they are KQJ. You usually hold QJ over any two (more straights) but often in DDB it's correct to hold a single ace, too. For example if you get AK not the same suit, you toss the king.

4. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I've been doing it wrong for a long time. Thanks for the help.

5. WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only time you would hold of three or more large cards (large=J,Q,K,A) would be KQJ off-suit and AKQJ off-suit. By holding the A with the JQ you eliminated the straights from 8-Q and 9-K. You should hold the 3 or 4 cards above because you don't lose out on many straights while still improving your jacks-or-better pulls.

Also, you never hold A-X off-suite where X is also a large card. Just hold the A in DDB.

6. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As has already been explained, the basic reason to just hold the J and Q is to give you a better edge to draw a straight. By also holding the Ace, you are locked in to more limited chances.

The one other reason that has not been mentioned ... By holding all three cards, you eliminate ANY chance of drawing a Quad. By tossing the Ace, you immediately have also added the remote chances of quad Jacks, or quad Queens. It DOES happen ... sometimes.

7. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I first held, I only held the ace. After the Wizard said no good, I then tried to hold the three cards and still no good. Thanks for helping and I now understand why.

8. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At most paytables of DDB where you have a choice between a single A or QJ, the actual EV between the two choices is very close and really doesn't matter much (pennies at $5 a pull). It can come down to the suits of the other cards, what small cards are gone that could make you an A-5 straight...the same answer won't be correct every time. It's confusing, but ultimately meaningless...just go with your gut on that one, because the 'mistake' is very small, regardless.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bob Dancer tables for that hand.

[​IMG]

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.