1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dates to avoid in February and March 2015?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Sriracha, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sriracha

Sriracha Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I had to cancel my march trip this year I'm looking to re-book my first trip to Las Vegas.
    I originally wanted to stay from around the 13th/16th until the 20th.
    Now obviously weekend rates are more expensive, however in mid-march even the hotels that are constantly named "The Worst" on here charge ridiculous prices, basically not even Hootes was available for less than 100$ a day.

I assume that's because of March Madness and March Mayhem?
    Any other events?

However, I could also move my stay up to around the 23rd of February until 30th of February.
    Are there any events too watch out for?
    I looked for specific dates online but I couldn't find a reliable event calendar, many places just listed dates as in "sometime in March"
    As I could normally only afford to stay at the Tropicana class I was surprised to see that in February even Mandalay Bay, Monte Carlo and Mirage are affordable.
    Do events in Las Vegas ever "sneak up"? Should I book now to lock it in?

Thanks in advance

2. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be almost impossible to get a room feb 29 and feb 30 ;)

3. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But I hear Mirage has $29 rooms, no resort fee, on February 31! Just a rumor though.

4. MichaelH

MichaelH Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    17th March is St. Patricks Day... Lots of Irish Folk in the City...

5. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you aren't a NASCAR fan, you may want to avoid the weekend of March 6-8 as that's when the NASCAR race is.

There's also the basketball tourney from March 17-22 which is usually very busy. The other weekends of the tournament aren't as busy, but they still get a few folks out for them.

Super Bowl weekend at the beginning of February will have high room rates too. I'm not sure what conventions might be going on during those times, but you may want to look those up.

Really, the easiest way to tell how busy they will be this far out is by the room rates. If the hotels expect to be busy then the rates will be way high like you saw with Hooters. My advice is to find a time frame that the rates are in line with what you are willing to pay and you want to go and book a refundable reservation direct with the hotel then keep checking to see if rates go down, then rebook and cancel the first reservation. If they go up, you've already got a low rate :)

6. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

LEAP Convention?

7. Thickskinnedalive

Thickskinnedalive Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Superbowl weekend is a madhouse so that rules out the first week. Then Valentine's Day is on a weekend and it turns President's Day this yr so the weekend of the 14th is not cheap either. The following 2 weekends have decent rates but then you get Nascar on the March 6th weekend. Your best window for rates is Feb 17th-March 5th.

I know because I was in charge of finding the most cost effect time to go around that same time. CET calendar is great for checking rates when a low roller. If Rio, Ballys, Flamingo and Harrah's aren't comped then there is an event in town. :evillaugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.