1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dateline story on "missionary corp" collectors on the strip

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by da1chifan, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had always wondered about the uniformed money collectors on the Strip and downtown. Their uniforms always made them seem more legit, although I still never gave them money. Just thought someone else might be interested in this info, as I was...

Copied from a TA post:

I was just watching last week's Dateline NBC and they did an undercover story on the guys wearing uniforms collecting for the homeless.

Made me think of the recent "scammers" thread. We have all encountered these folks. Looks like they are exploited "volunteers".

You can check out the video by clicking on the picture on the link.

www.nbcnews.com/video/dateline/52526634/

2. SandPete

SandPete Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fooled me once... not again, gawd, some people, that woman... :grrr:

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate Dateline, but in this case I'll give them some credit:thumbsup:
    Thanks for posting. I've never thrown money in there, but always wondered.

Christmas
  4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Basically confirmed my suspicions.
    This holds true even for the military, police and fireman collectors that call.

Basically there are more frauds than valid ones. If you really want to help, do the research and verify you money is going to the proper people.

5. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always gave those guys all my leftover change from all the TITO's I collected throughout the day. :grrr:

After watching that Dateline report, now it makes sense as to why I did not see them this week. They didn't get my $ either. I gave it all to some retiree playing an accordion on the Palazzo/Wynn skybridge!

6. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for exposing this scam. You also have non homeless folks making $1,000 month selling water paid for via EBT welfare and those begging using animals as props. And no, I'm not buying your club passes, poetry, time share, helicopter ride or rap cd.

In 20 years of Vegas, the only two people I have ever given money to were the guy with no arms or legs who used to collect by the Carnival court in the 1990s/early 2000s (he ended up creating a video editing side business) and a priest from the church near Wynn who used to collect near the Stardust.

Folks who want to donate should find a good charity near home, or tip more for people who work hard (your maid, bellman, bathroom attendant) or perhaps people on the floor you haven't considered tipping in the past (dealers, cashier, sports book clerk). These people contribute to making your trip more enjoyable. Those cluttering up the strip make your trip less enjoyable.

7. Jade88

Jade88 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting this. I probably gave to them on a few occasions and now know better.

8. wndrwmn71

wndrwmn71 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, that's sad. I've given them meager amounts before (couple dollars). I wont anymore. Evil woman ruined it for everyone. I'd just as soon slip a $20 in their pocket & tell 'em it doesn't go in the bucket, ever.

9. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is disappointing but not surprising, unfortunately.

10. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly, what I expected.

11. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did anyone really think these people were legit? I have more respect for the beggers with signs, at least they dont misrepresent themselves.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.