1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Damn Allegiant... You Just Wrecked My Morning Cup of Coffee

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by northerngirl, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just read in the morning paper that Allegiant is pulling out of Duluth effective this summer. We have flown them to Vegas since they came in 2006. Apparently, they like an occupancy rate of 90% and they are only flying out of my city with 70% full. Again, crap!!

Instead of driving five minutes to the airport and being dropped off at the front door, we will need to drive 150 miles to Minneapolis. We will need to figure out parking costs down at MSP, driving arrangements, etc.

I am trying to think on the positive side....maybe instead of being locked into a 6.5 day trip due to Allegiant's schedule and arriving at 11:50 p.m., we will be able to book our flights to stay a few extra days and pick flight times that are more conducive.

I should be adding Baileys to my next cup of coffee.....damn Allegiant!

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They pulled out of my area (LNK) with very little notice! Our in-house TA at work warned us that they are notorious for things like this.

3. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That really sux Northern Girl (especially since Allegiant is now a MyVegas reward). I hope you and the sister's can work something out that gives you an extended stay to make up for the inconvenience of travelling to the airport, parking costs, etc. Not sure what it's like there but in Toronto it is generally cheaper to do a park and fly deal at a hotel than it is to park only at the airport or park 'n fly off airport locations so perhaps an airport overnighter to get you all in the Vegas spirit before you head off.

4. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am from duluth too and this news is garbage! I am trying to talk my buddies into booking there last flight out there in august for a one more time thing! but the options were very limited anyway so it will be nice to have tons of options out of Minneapolis.. and getting there before 11 at night will be nice for once!

5. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dang, that sucks. Not sure what the occupancy rate is here in FAR, but hopefully they don't pull out of here. They are our only direct flight as well. Before Allegiant was here we did drive the 180 or so miles to MSP. But, on the bright side you will have many more options in flight times/airlines and not locked into Allegiant's schedule....still, I can understand how you feel. Booo. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::grrr::grrr::cry:

6. BigTop

BigTop Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Northern Girl- Check out SunCountry-(Out of the Humphrey Terminal) A Great Hometown Airline!!! Also suggest the PArk N Fly Hotel options...

Good Luck!!!

7. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big Top....In exploring options, I am really leaning towards Sun Country....I like the fact that they fly out of HH. I am liking the idea of the sister and I driving to the cities early in the morning, doing some fun shopping together, and spending the evening at a park and fly hotel (of course, with cocktails). This would also give us the option of booking an early morning flight. I did a quick check of park and fly hotels around the airport....I had some sticker shock seeing some of the prices per night. If you have any suggestions of a decent park and fly hotel, would love any input.

Last year we flew to Houston and parked the car at the airport for seven days. If I remember correctly, the tab on that was $120. If we found a decent hotel under that amount, it sure would make sense (and I love the idea of boosting the economy at several malls).

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What Breanna said. I'm a fan of park and flies. Good value and you're rested after a hike to the airport.

9. mickeydfly13

mickeydfly13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't you get a flight from Duluth to MSP or somewhere else and then to LAS?

10. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Typically, to fly to the cities to catch a connecting flight you can add around $200 to your airfare. Then you factor in going to the Duluth airport 90 minutes or so before departure, take a 30 minute flight, and then at least a 2-3 hour layover in MSP. During this time period, you could have driven the 150 miles to the cities. Other than business men on expense accounts, etc., the majority of us in northern MN, drive to Minneapolilis to catch a flight. We have never understood how it can cost so much for a 30 minute flight.....supply and demand?

11. mickeydfly13

mickeydfly13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see. It can work both ways. I live between Chicago and Milwaukee. Often, ORD-LAS nonstop flight is 100-200 MORE than the MKE-ORD-LAS flight (getting on the same plane to LAS).

12. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can recommend the Hampton Inn and Suites (2860 Metro Drive) right by MSP. That's our go-to place for park-and-fly. Last time I did this (fall of 2013?) it was $10 per day, $15 if you wanted it in the underground garage. You'd want to double-check that. Very close and convenient to the airport, with a free shuttle.

13. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks....will for sure check it out. I spent so many hours over the weekend online and making phone calls to hotels offering shuttle service. You can find a good price on Expedia for a hotel that includes what we need, and then you call the hotel only to find out that great price doesn't include the park and fly service. Ugh...appreciate the suggestion.

14. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think FAR will loose their's - just a guess.

You still have Canadian's flying it because of the substantial difference in price!

15. mmmatthew85

mmmatthew85 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another point to add to the positive side: You don't have to fly Allegiant! :)

16. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good one! Just booked our August trip flying Sun Country out of Mpls. Our former Allegiant flight didn't arrive in Vegas until 11:30 pm and with only two flights a week available, we were limited to a six day trip. We leave Mpls at 8:00 a.m., arriving in Vegas at 9:15. It will be a huge plus landing and having a full day ahead of us. And just because I could.....spending a full nine days/nine nights in my favorite city.

17. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant is trying a shift in cities. CAK has been added, which will probably be a good move for them. Only thing is, the routes Allegiant is going to run from CAK are not places we ever go! We lost our only Vegas nonstop years ago when Airtran was unhappy with ridership. I can dream that Allegiant will do well enough here to add that route, or some other route we would use. but it's unlikely.

18. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are your dates C? I may try to make an August run and catch up with you.

19. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For sure some year we need a redo....August 12-21. Will pm you with details.

20. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the extra days!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.