1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Craps Question 2 - Buying the 5 or 9: shouldn't the Buy bet be used much of the time?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by larryg, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WARNING: this question goes into nerd-like detail, so continue only if you dare!

Many craps players know that buying the 4 (or 10) is better than placing the 4. However, I don't think I've ever seen anyone buying the 5 (or 9). Shouldn't this be done for bets more than $10?

The house edge for placing the 5 is 4.00%. If you buy the 5 for $20 (or $40 or $60 or...), the house edge is 2.00%. If you buy the 5 for $10, I calculate the house edge as 4.00%.

Another way of saying the same thing: For a $20 bet, place wins $28; buy wins $29. For a $10 bet, place wins $14; buy wins $14.

Am I right? If so, why shouldn't you buy the 5 or 9, when better more than $10?

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/craps/

Long story short, 4 and 10 are usually the only ones they'll let you buy with commission on win only.

3. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only place where I have played and they buy the 5/9 is in tunica.

First Trip 2017
  4. Gregsmt

Gregsmt Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tunica and Biloxi it is the normal procedure. It is not standard procedure in Vegas and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of being the salmon swimming upstream to buy it there.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.