1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Craps lay bet rating question

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by bedaniels, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bedaniels

bedaniels Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In feb at the Monte Carlo I was lay betting $120 across the inside ($30 on 5,6,8,9 each) paying the $4 vig. The table was cold so I was doing well. After about 2 hours as I colored up I asked about my rating and was told $30 for 2 hours. What? I was betting $120! It was explained that I only had $30 at risk per roll therefore the rating was correct. I verified this to be true and accurate to my surprise.

My question is if:
    I lay $150 on the 4 only am I rated at $150?
    I lay $150 on the 4 and 10 am I rated at $150 or $300?
    I lay $150 on the four with a $50 dont pass am I rated at $200?

Thanks and good luck.

2. Falcon_Rob

Falcon_Rob Flying Winnebago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very interesting. I can see both sides. Technically, they are correct in saying you only have $30 (plus vig) at risk at any given time. But in my experience as a floor supervisor, I would have rated you at $120. That's assuming, of course, that you weren't pulling any flea-type moves like placing or buying against your lays or constantly taking down your bets, putting them back up, etc.

My take is that as long as you have bets in action that have a house edge (so not counting odds/lay odds) and no other bets that go against your bets, you should be rated as such.

3. theotherone

theotherone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah that stinks but like Falcon Rob said I could see both sides.

I must ask, how well did you do on the session? Did you double your buy in or more?

4. y2mulder

y2mulder Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ouch. I would have rated you at $120 as well, but can easily see that policy of "Risk per roll". But I am also the kind of floor person who will change ratings wildly based on what how nice you are/if you are tipping.......yada, yada.

5. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe ya need to find a place that might rate ya better. That would piss me off.

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you ran into a dick pit boss. Or you were being a dick and the pit boss rightfully screwed you for it.

7. tapakip

tapakip Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Along these same lines (and not to hijack the OP's thread), how would you rate someone playing roulette, and betting $75 on 1-18 and $50 on Last 12? $125 per spin or something else?

8. bedaniels

bedaniels Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi All,

Falcon_Rob: nope no flea type moves, odds, hops, or hardways to off set the lay bets. I left them up until they were knocked down then relayed the knocked down bets on the next shooter. I relayed the vig after a seven out so they were up on the come out roll wishing for a come out roll seven where I would win as well as the pass line, that happened only once as I recall.

theotherone: I took out a $1000 marker and I cashed out that session up about $500-$600. It was not just a pure hit on the seven as soon as I got the bets up. Some would get knocked off and once or twice they all got knocked down. Then I would just wait for the next shooter before going back up.

y2mulder: Come to think of it I did not tip throughout the session like I do when playing the right side. I tipped after I colored up.

Shifter: nope I was not a dick at all. I'm very aware of the situation and did not openly cheer wins. I quietly collected my wins and put my bets back up. It must have been a pit boss in a bad mood. Played the right side in the morning that day (placed $110 across the inside +presses) and was rated at $145. This occurred in the evening with a different pit boss. I intended to play the right side but after watching the table for a while before buying in it was obvious that lay betting was a better play.

Thanks for all the feedback.

9. WrongWayWade

WrongWayWade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That 'risk per roll' idea is nonsense. Sure, you can't lose all four bets on one roll, but EVERY ONE of them is still at risk. It isn't like three of them are marked as immune from losing on the next roll.

If four separate players played the four $30 lay bets, they'd each get rated at $30 for a total of $120. It should be the same deal (total $120) if the money comes from a single bankroll.

It's the same stupidity where they think someone playing pass and don't pass at the same time (which actually is pretty lame, IMO), shouldn't be rated at all.

10. earth-3

earth-3 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This helped me decide where I am staying in October. I do bet either way on the come out and would feel cheated if that happened to me. Now it's just a question of staying at the newly remodeled Plaza downtown or the Tropicana on the strip. (Both have offered comped suites as did Monte Carlo.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.