1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

CRAFTSTEAK dress code / vibe....

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by -(J)-, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -(J)-

-(J)- Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at Craftsteak for our next "nice" dinner.

Just wondering about the overall vibe/atmosphere/dress-code for this place....

Does Craftsteak have more of a loud/energetic vibe? Or is it more of a quiet/elegant atmosphere?

How about the dress code? Is this a place where you wear whatever you want or do most men wear jackets/sport coats?

I have no problem wearing a nice jacket and if this place is a good reason to wear one than I'm all for it!
    On the other hand, I don't want to over do it! I'm in my late 20's so I don't exactly want to be the only guy around my age all dressed up.

Any insight is welcome....

2. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are seldom overdressed anywhere in Vegas in a suit jacket or sports coat. You most certainly will not be overdressed at Craftsteak.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's not very quiet. most of the restaurant is one big open space with very little sound absorption, so it can get fairly loud, but not extreme. i'd say it's about average in terms of how loud it gets, but it's fairly energetic. you see jackets on a lot of men, but like everywhere else, you also see polo shirts and khakis. I always wear a jacket and often a tie. it's definitely not fancy like JR or Le Cirque, but most people take the time to look nice.

4. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I was just there on my last trip and been before that as well. You definitely won't be overdressed in a sport coat and you won't be under dressed in jeans and even sneakers. In fact I probably saw much more of the latter last time. It's Vegas, not exactly a place where restaurants seem to give a shit.

The vibe is nice, similar to other collichio restaurants if you've been. Warm, casual, and inviting in typical modern/hippish restaurant style not an old school steakhouse style. The bar has a better than average selection of house cocktails and really knowledgable bartenders.

It's on opentable so if you use it book through them instead of directly or through any hotel staff. Its faster, easier, and you get the points. We easily got the table we requested on the reservation.

5. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of all the over priced steak house restaurants in Vegas (and yes they are ALL over priced) Craftsteak IMHO was the best "we" enjoyed....with that said, I thought it was MUCH more on the quiet side if that's what you are looking for.....it's EXPENSIVE......but GOOD......and PLEASE don't dress like a BUM in jeans....other than that......have a GREAT TIME.....BTW if you're looking for a Good but LOUD steak house....go to Gallagher's at NYNY....

6. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are two distinct aspects to the vibe/sound at Craft, depending where you sit. As a party of two, you're likely in the open room for the most part. The tables are very close together, to the point where you kind of feel like you're eating with the couple next to you in some cases. If you don't like that kind of thing, it's loud. If you like that kind of thing, it's vibrant.

In a larger party if you get a booth (which seats 6, I think...we had 5 comfortably), it's different. The booths are kind of inset a bit and it's almost like you're separated from the room a little, and the sound is much lower. You can easily carry on a conversation with your entire table.

Other insights -- When you order a side, especially the vegetable sides, it's enough for four or maybe more in some cases. It's certainly more than enough for two. The calimari appetizer isn't fried. If you like squid that's not fried, maybe it's for you. It wasn't for me.

I was in khakis and a button down long sleeve shirt and my wife wore a casual dress -- we were heading to a concert after. We felt right in the middle of the dress spectrum. Personally I'd avoid jeans. You wouldn't be alone, but for me, I'd feel under dressed.

If it's a night where there's a concert, you better make a reservation. I watched a dozen groups get turned away, yet they sat me right on time.

If you're a surf and turf type, my wife recommends the scallops with your steak. She had both that and the lobster on two separate trips and absolutely loved the scallops. Lobster isn't their strong point.

7. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the tasting menu over the summer with a friend. It was delicious, but expensive. However, I think it was worth it as we got to try everything we wanted, and find things we didn't even know we'd love. My friend wore khakis and I think a button-down, and I wore a dress. I felt a little overdressed, to be honest...so I felt it was a little more casual than a Joel Robuchon. Everyone is spot-on about the vibe. We went pretty early and there were no events going on so it wasn't very full when we were there so the noise wasn't as much of a concern.

8. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to just about any restaurant I please and I never dress better than jeans, an untucked button up, and some nice shoes. I don't even own a sport coat that goes with jeans. That being said, they are nice dark designer jeans with no holes or fade to them and typically a Thomas Dean button up.....for what it is worth. Never felt out of place or uncomfortable.

9. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to think the same thing. Have you priced prime beef lately? and I mean real prime beef.. Not all places have it.. Ask around at your supermarket.. I know mine sells prime Rib Eye for $18-$R19 per pound and that is Wet aged from the deli counter. Most high end steak houses in Vegas sell Dry-Aged beef which in turn adds value.. The extra work to age it and the amount lost when then trim the dry-age crust will add to the value.. Then considering all of the overhead it is really not that overpriced. $50 per steak is about right.. Some steak houses go over the top and a good example of that is Carnevino.. Avg price per person for steak is about $80.

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with some things you have mentioned but also disagree....they don't have to charge $11 for a side....or $49 for a $10 bottle of wine.....so if that's the mark up example then a $50 steak is only costing them about $5....LOL...

I do steaks all the time when I entertain...mostly over wood and or charcoal....good choice and prime is pricey for US...but I'm sure the restaurants don't pay our going rate....if they did it would be at least $100 per steak......but it is nice to just sit there and drink expensive wine and have someone else do all the work for a change...

11. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    eh, that's a bit over-exaggerated. wine is marked up, but only about 100-200%, not 500%. if they're $11 sides they are enough to share with 4 people. but of course it's always significantly cheaper to cook your own food no matter what it is.

12. Kickin

Kickin Flea

At restaurants the cheaper the wine wholesale the higher the % markup. Also the nicer the restaurant the higher the markup (duh). The same bottle of wine at one restaurant can be much higher at a nicer restaurant across the street. I've seen differences of as much as 3x at michelin places like Le Bernadin versus other restaurants for the same bottle. A guy who used to work with us was part owner of a restaurant downtown and would point out the huge difference in prices for bottles we'd see on a wine list versus what his restaurant sold them for all the time. Just drink and enjoy and succumb to the fact you're getting your face ripped off.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.