1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

'Country Superstars'...(long haul)

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by GREGRIO, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

Yep, felt just like bein' takin' for a ride by a taxi cab driver.
    'Country Superstars' isn't exactly advertising what you're gonna see
    on any given night. You see their add...lots of folks in the picture but
    what ya see isn't exactly what ya get I found out...AND I SHOULD HAVE KNOW!

The Show is an economy country version of 'Legends In Concert' but on a much more
    scaled down version. Think corporate entertainment Show at a convention maybe...
    Small stage, small lighting, small sound, on the 3d floor of the Golden Nugget in
    'Gordie Brown's showroom.

Like with 'Legends', you never know who's going to be on that night. If ya care, you
    can call the box office after 11am and they'll tell ya, but I didn't even think of doing
    that for this....last minute decision bit of entertainment, I just cabbed downtown after
    my main event 'Jersey Boys' that night.

Now I've seen the 'Country Superstars' add forever but have always chosen something
    else. I really like country music...older country/outlaw country/western swing.
    Think Haggard, Bob Wills, George Jones, Lefty Frizzel, and Willie.
    It was Roy Hammock's Willie Nelson I went over to see. Roy Hammock's Willie Nelson
    wasn't on my night but you wouldn't have thought that by looking at their add.

Instead, the one and only treat that night came from Corrie Sachs who has a great
    Reba McEntire routine. You might remember Corrie from years back over at the Gold Coast.
    She and two other women put together the 'Honky Tonk Angels' Show which was just
    lots of fun. Her strong Reba opens 'Country Superstars' but for me, the rest of the Show
    went down hill from there.

Big & Rich were just too silly and their homemade costumes looked cheap and just plain stupid.
    Garth was okay, but we've seen Garth in every tribute Show around and it's just gettin' a bit
    old (like Michael Jackson tributes...) even Corrie Sachs' 'Reba'...GOOD AS IT IS, almost looked
    cartoonish (too much eye-rolling and Okie hick twang)
    No, I went to see Willie and kept expecting him to pop up next but...

Then they introduced the 'next big thing in county music'...Cody Collins.
    Cody is from Nashville. He's worked with some names, he writes songs and lets you know you
    can buy 'em outside the theater but...this turned into a mini showcase for Cody and he only
    sang 2 of his own songs before kicking into a few covers AND IT WAS ALMOST 90min. of showtime.
    Needless to say, I knew then Willie wasn't showin' up that night.

The audience was quite entertained so don't get me wrong. 'Country Superstars' is a fun little
    economy Show, lots of discounts tics out there, the performers work hard at showing you a good
    time...it just didn't work for me (I left early...)
    The room is small with a front (probably VIP) area and a back area. Go for a centerish seat of your
    choice...I sat first row/back area.

If ya care... who/what you'll be seeing during this Show...call ahead cuz...20 bucks cab fare each
    way and another $59.95 for the Show was for me...money better spent on video poker.

2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gregrio,
    If I was the author of your review it would read pretty much the same EXCEPT: It was 4 or 5 years ago, It was upstairs at Fitzgeralds (the D), and they were new. The cost was about $29.95, but I had a coupon and paid half that and it was worth that. Good but not great. I was a country DJ way back when so I too like country and played a lot of the older stars. Sounds like the show didn't change much except the price went up. Willie was a knock out, at first I thought it was the real thing! I wish there was some good country in town. I remember the country show at the Alladin back in 97 or 98......that was a show!

For the price yu paid, I'd rather have gone to see Legends.

Jimbo338

3. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

Oh thanks a lot Jimbo, I feel SO MUCH better now about missing Willie.
    I've always really liked Willie Nelson. Years back, I tried to go to as many
    of his picnics as I could...and the superstars add has always caught my eye.
    I'm still real curious to see Roy Hammock's routine.
    Year back......YEARS BACK when I had my country band, I could do a real good
    Willie sound-a-like myself...that's what our band 'OAKLAND' was known for.
    Had I only known about the future of tribute bands...I maybe wouldn't have had to
    retire my ol' 'Triger' nylon string, lol.
    I might try again...some day...calling in advance next time to make sure Roy is there.

4. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Greg, you are full of surprises! I never figured you for a Willie Tribute singer! That is great! I am a fan of old country, not much for the new stuff these days though.

5. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was able to meet many of the old counry singers, Porter Wagoner, Jan Howard, Little Jimmy Dickens, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Bill Anderson, Buck Owens, Don Rich and the Buckaroos, Sheb Wholley, Hager Twins, and others. They were pioneers. Most had no ego at all, just thought they were the luckiest people in the world for getting paid for doing what they loved to do. One of my favorites was Dolly Parton. I had changed radio stations, grabbed a cassette tape recorder and went backstage to a Porter Wagoner show. Before the show, Porter and Dolly did promos for me, and I asked Dolly if she would do an interview with me. This was after she started filming the Porter Wagoner show but before she became a megastar. She was so nice and said that she did 2 songs with Porter and then didn't go back on stage til the 2nd half of the show. So we went into her dressing room and I pressed the record and play buttons on the cassette recorder and did what I thought was a great interview and as I wound it up, noticed that the wheels on the cassette were not turning.......I forgot the on/off switch on the mike was in the off position. I was mortified. Do I save face and go home with nothing, or fess up and hope she would allow me to do it again. I really wanted the interview so I fessed up and told her what happened. She laughed so hard I thought she would wet her pants. I DID get my interview but we had to start it about 4 times cause every time I asked her the first question again she would laugh hysterically.

She is exactly as she appears when you see someone interviewing her on tv or on one of her shows. She pokes fun and giggles like you were one of her 12 siblings. I never met a star as down to earth.....and she knew exactly where she wanted to go.....to the top. Her talent as a writer as well as a singer and actress is incredible yet she enjoys the simple things and loves her fans.

While I did enjoy many of the old timers, I have seen some of today's generation of country stars and they sure know how to work a crowd. Influenced by a generation of pioneers in C&W, they are great showmen (and women) and outstanding performers.I wish there was more Country in LV and quite frankly was surprised that there was so little of it out west in LV.

Jimbo338

6. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

Great story Jimbo, THANK YOU! I could listen to you all day. How lucky you were man.
    Yeah, I'm sorry too there isn't more country in Vegas save for Nov/Dec and rodeo time.

7. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw Country Superstars last year; the Tim McGraw and Willie impersonators were definitely the best part of the show when I saw it....."Reba" was entertaining initially but started to wear on me a bit. For the price (I think we paid $15/ticket) entertaining, but I wouldn't want to see it at full pop.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.