1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Countdown timer question

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Turtleman, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would you believe that after being on VMB for over 11 years, I'm just now trying to figure out how to set up the countdown timer? Specifically, what is the "correct" time? Should it be when I'm due to arrive in Vegas or when I leave for the airport or my fight is scheduled to depart?

According to the note on the countdown timer page: "*NOTE: Choose the correct Time Zone that you like for your timer so it shows the correct time remaining." Up until now I've always chosen Eastern Time Zone and when my flight is due to arrive, but wouldn't it make more sense to always use arrival on Pacific Time? But if that's the case, why have the time zone dropdown menu?

For example, on my two currently active timers, the first uses Eastern Time, while the second is on Pacific. (I don't yet have air for the second trip, but have assumed the same arrival time.) I'm sure none of this is terribly important, but can't help wondering what time everyone else uses. I obviously have too much time on my hands to be pondering this stuff! :)

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being one of the designers of the timer, I guess I can answer that question the best.

It's whatever time you wish it to be. Each of us begins our trip to Vegas at different points. Some think of it as the time you get on the plane, some think of it as the time you land, and others just have it set to midnight on the day the trip starts. Our thinking when setting that option up was, everyone has a different starting point in their own minds about a trip, so lets give them the ability to look at their timer and think "I start vacation in X days, y hours, z minutes! Woohoo!"

Hope that makes sense.

Personally, my timer would have the time the plane takes off, because that is the time I feel like my Vegas trip really starts. :drunk:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Turtleman this has puzzled me in the past too. I always use Eastern Time but I've jumped around on the starting time (leave the house/take-off'/land/get to hotel). Now I just use Noon on the day I depart, it's close enough for me.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nm, I need to work on my calculations, lol.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  5. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shock: Thanks for explaining. I figured everyone might choose a different starting point, but aside from what we might consider the beginning of a trip, I always viewed the countdown timer as a quick and dirty way of informing others when we'll be arriving. Isn't that the purpose of picking a hotel background, presuming we can remember where we're staying? (Personally, I usually pick a more generic background, since I stay at multiple properties.) As the King of Siam said, "It's a puzzlement!"

6. DrLect

DrLect Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you nuts? There's only one right way to set a countdown timer. It must be set for the time at which one arrives in Vegas.

I know this is a fact as once I am settled in my seat on the plane, I reset my watch by subtracting three hours from the current time by moving the little hand back three hours. That way my watch will match my timer and all VMB'ers will know that my arrival is imminent (if they happen to encounter one of my posts while I'm in the air).

New Year's Eve Dinner
  7. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, and from now on will set the timer to reflect when the plane is scheduled to land in Vegas … using Vegas time! I always set my watch back 3 hours right before I arrive, anyway. Timers have now been "fixed."

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  8. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also set my countdown to East Coast and the time that I arrive in Las Vegas.

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I was trying to figure out why a time zone needs to be set for a timer.

Because regardless of whether you target arrival or departure, and regardless of where your arrival or departure is, and regardless of where you are on earth when you set it, the amount of time that elapses between now and then is the same.

The code in the timer adjusts for the set time zone relative to GMT (or UTC). It looks like this:

http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/timer.php?o=-7&d=27&m=8&y=2016&h=9&mi=37&p=2508&f=1&c=gold

The section highlighted in red is the time zone offset - minus 7 hours for Las Vegas.

When you had one timer set to Eastern, the code used minus 4 hours.

You had both timers set for the same local clock time hour and minute. But the same hour and minute is 3 hours further away from now in Vegas than it is in Atlanta.

10. Dentastic

Dentastic Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I set it to the time my flight departs, simply because that's when I feel my vacation begins. If I was driving to Vegas, I would set the timer to my arrival time because driving doesn't feel like "vacation" to me.