1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Costly cab trips grow into 'epidemic'

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DonD, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. luvnvegas2

luvnvegas2 Guest

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "To date, the tourism industry, a potent voice in other cities, has not publicly pushed for change."

This is the problem.

4. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "The real criminals, he said, are lousy tippers."

Yeah, that's not correct.

Anyway, for me, the prospect of taxicab long-hauls has become the #1 problem in Las Vegas. I feel for the cabbies not making a lot of money, but stealing from me should not be the answer.

This is so fixable, as the article suggests. Pick a remedy, any remedy:

flat rate
    pay structure
    eliminate hurdles for "officially" reporting a long-hauler
    increase fines

I absolutely hate the idea of being knowingly swindled, and it makes each cab ride a very stressful one. The few times I have tried, "I have $X to get to the destination, how much you get as a tip is up to you", it has been a very pleasant ride. However, I also know I am overpaying a bit, as I don't want to underestimate.

LOL, I just want to pay exactly what it should cost!!! THAT'S what drives me crazy.

:beer:

5. gbill2004

gbill2004 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the $20 flat rate idea.

6. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to get a limo instead of a taxi, because they are beginning to look like a bargain, or at least bring more value.

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was long hauled my first trip to Las Vegas years ago. It was a good learning experience because I've learned to be more proactive when I get in a cab since. I tell the driver which route to take and, unless he can make a good pitch for an alternative, I make them stick to it.

Bill

8. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got a question...Is taking the freeway (instead of LV blvd) from the Strip to downtown "long hauling"? They do that to me a lot.

9. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny because one ride from mirage to the airport cost $13 and a ride from Mandalay costed me like $30-40....my mind was boggled.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The tips are probably bad because they keep long hauling! In addition to the ideas on the table, I think they should consider limiting medallions. It seems to me the cab companies are deciding how many cabs are operating and that needs to be the city and county making those decisions. I think the cabbies have a point when they say there are too many cabs on the street. It especially hurts tourists when you get an inexperienced driver who doesn't know their way around.

The other solution is to do an end-around: Increase public transportation options from the airport and and start taking away regulations designed to protect the cab industry from competition. If they won't get their house in order, give tourists more options. It may hurt the cab companies but it's time they start looking at the big picture from the perspective of the conventioneers and tourists.

11. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From The Strip to Downtown the taxis will almost always take the freeway.

The freeway is only a little bit longer but the cost is pretty much the same because you won't be adding on wait time while sitting at lights and intersections.

12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long-hauling is taking you a route that is *not* the "shortest" route without asking your permission. Period. Could take less time - will still be more expensive for the customer as the meter is based on distance (plus idle time eg at lights or in traffic). If you are offered the choice, and you pick "faster" - it's not being long-hauled because you chose the route.

13. 604jimmy

604jimmy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Half the time I ask a cab to take paradise, they give some lame excuse why not to take it.

1. What's Paradise? Why, what is it?
    2. Oh there is construction
    3. What do you mean shortest? Could mean fastest or... or... or.. (cabbie throws hands in air)

So much BS... in other cities it's so easy and straight forward. But in Vegas, it's like catching a cab in south east Asia where everyone is trying to rip you off left right and center.

14. chuckM

chuckM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my trip in March, I took a cab from the Strip to downtown. The driver was basically arguing with me as to why they rip off passengers. Apparently, they have to bring in a certain "daily average" or else they risk losing their jobs. My response was "what does that have to do with me". I told him that the way I work is that he gets a bigger tip if he gets me to where I want to go quickly. If I feel he's ripping me off, he gets no tip. Pretty much what a poster above had written...I have X amount of dollars and it's up to him. I guess my point to this cabby was that I'd give him the tip if he didn't rob me with the fare...but he's not getting both.

Once again, as a poster above stated, taking a limo is beginning to look a lot better.

15. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would take the freeway

Maybe going from the Wynn to downtown up LV Blvd would be ok, but going from Mandalay Bay to downtown up LV Blvd, no thanks.

LV Blvd and Tropicana and LV Blvd and Flamingo can be congestion points. Once you get to the Wynn, taking a cab up LV Blvd might be OK.

16. hetzmr

hetzmr Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found it easier to just rent a car and valet for a couple of bucks. No worrying about getting ripped off and I can go on my schedule.

17. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anybody done any reading up on the taxicab authority's governing body? I suspect that if some changes were made to the governing body, it would impact tourists. In my opinion, the way the cabs are run in Vegas is a hold out from the per-corporate Vegas days.

18. zerofan

zerofan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the idea that was mentioned about possibly posting the proper fares inside the cabs......sounds like a good start anyway.

19. technolight

technolight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stratosphere to downtown 2 years ago via freeway , guess what no tip. When will they learn.

20. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I'm traveling solo, I'll just take a bus. $2 downtown or $3 for a 2 hour pass to transfer to the Strip.

With other people, rent a car and save.

Ironically, I've never had a bad cab experience. I just want to avoid the hassle on vacation. Riding a bus is less stressful than dealing with some sort of rip off.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.