1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Costco rental car

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Italladdsup, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Italladdsup

Italladdsup Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I book a car with Costco do you need your card in Vegas to get the car? Just wondering if I can use my mom's card number to book.

2. DozerTheBulldog

DozerTheBulldog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the Costco website: Unfortunately, the answer appears to be no....

http://www.costcotravel.com/Info/rentalCarFAQ

"Q: Do I have to verify my membership to reserve a car? Does the primary driver have to be a Costco member?

The answer to both questions is yes. As with everything Costco sells, only Costco members are entitled to the savings and value. For this reason, consumers are asked to verify their membership online, or provide their membership number when calling to speak with a rental car representative. At the time of car pickup, the rental car agent may ask to see the primary driver’s Costco membership card. (Note: The primary driver does not necessarily need to be the member who logged in and reserved online, but they are required to have their own membership card to present at time of pickup.)

Q: Can I reserve a car for a friend or family member?

Rental cars booked through Costco Travel are exclusively available to Costco members and a valid membership card is required at the time of pickup. To reserve for someone other than yourself, you must be present with them at the time of pickup to present your membership card.

3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes. It might also depend on the clerk and the company you rent from, I've seen/had some clerks at Budget and Alamo ask for my Costco card and others who haven't. If they do ask for the card it has to be in your name, IMHO you can't use your mom's or anyone else's card. I was there when one couple tried to rent a car from Budget and had a reservation but no Costco card. The clerk didn't allow it, they would have had to pay full price (very high for such late notice). Couple pleaded and asked for the manager who also confirmed that they couldn't get the discount price unless they had a Costco card. The couple said that they left it at home and gave other excuses and tried to use other tactics (demanding and yelling) but no dice with the manager. They eventually walked away since they didn't want to pay full price.

I and many others also have been lucky and not been asked for our Costco cards so I think it is all the roll of the dice whether they ask for your card or not.

IMHO, if you want to take a chance I would recommend making 2 reservations, one with Costco and the other with another company. That way if the Costco reservation doesn't pan out you can always go with the other reservation. "Officially" you're not supposed to use Costco card unless you are the member but unofficially.......(you get what I mean, lol).

4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your mother is travelling with you, I'd say go for it. As long as she's with you, and has her card when you pick up the car. Otherwise, I don't think that will fly. The might never ask for the card or care. It might work out fine. It might not. If it doesn't it's going to cost you money or you'll end up on foot. What's your plan B?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the costco rate is that much better you could always join, rent the car, pick up anything that's a better deal at costco, then return the membership.

6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm, I've booked rental cars solely with Costco (for Vegas and many other cities in the US) over the past few years and have never been asked to prove my costco membership/show membership card.

On the other hand, I've probably paid for most of those rentals with my Costco Amex......So I suppose they had the proof if they wanted it?

7. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the member is with you, but not going to be the primary driver, it still isn't a problem. The rentals from Costco also include the additional driver.

8. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

We have never been asked to show our card. However, as others have said. you never know.

9. Italladdsup

Italladdsup Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info, I think I will get my own card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.