1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

copter tours of Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by bananaman, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bananaman

bananaman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can those of you who have done it please give me some insight. The one I was looking at is about 400 bucks per person, and an 11 to 12 hr excursion. Lunch on the cayon floor. ETC. They pick you up at the hotel? I am staying downtown. Is it worth the money?

2. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the Maverick helicoptor tour and it was an absolutely breathtaking, once-in-a-lifetime experience, so for me personally it was well worth it. I don't think I did the lunch thing though.

3. yoyoseven

yoyoseven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You sure $400 is getting you an 11-hr excusion with lunch on the canyon floor? You might want to double-check that.

My last trip out I went with Maverick, but $400 only got a 3.5-hr hotel-to-hotel trip (about 2.5 hours air time or so). I think it was called "Silver Cloud" or something like that.

That being said, I signed up with some trepidation - my buddy pressured me into it. I didn't think it would be worth $400 (my round-trip airfare was less than that). But I figured what the hell, I'll kill two birds with one stone (ride in a 'copter, and see the GC up close).

It turned out to be worth every penny. Awesome views of the north rim, and a really cool pilot. And besides, I could have easily lost 2-3 times that at the craps tables in 3.5 hours!

4. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wife and I did the canyon landing tour a couple of years ago with sundance.

the whole tour from pickup to dropoff was about 3.5 hours and around $700 total.

the most incredible thing we have ever done,can`t recommend it enough despite the cost.

5. Nina_930

Nina_930 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This may be a stupid question, but when they pick you up from the hotel, do they drive you to the GC and then you take the helicopter ride or is there a place in Vegas they leave from and the trip to the GC is totally in the helicopter?

I am trying to decide if it is better to stay in vegas an extra 2 days and do the day trips or stay in the canyon for the 2 days.

6. azplayer

azplayer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "I am trying to decide if it is better to stay in vegas an extra 2 days and do the day trips or stay in the canyon for the 2 days."

Having been to the Grand Canyon many times unless you want to hike down to the bottom and back, two days is a looong time there. We usually spend about 5-6 hours there and that includes visiting the trading post at the other end. There is just not that much to see outside of the Canyon, but to see it is worth the trip alone!

There are some Indian ruins along the Canyon road as well as a bunch of parking lots to see different views. One is popular with hikers as you can walk down a trail. I'm not sure if it goes to the bottom as I only went down a few hundred feet. The trail got narrower and I can't fly so I went back up.

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did a flight in Vegas once. Limo to helo place near the LAS airport. Helo landed down in GC. 4-5 hours door to door. Maybe less.

Well worth the $300-$400 each.

8. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going in August and am seriously considering a GC excursion. I was originally planning to do one of the all-day bus trips since it's cheaper, but the helicopter thing sounds very intriguing. Plus, as embarrassing as it is, I don't want to miss a day's worth of Strip food since it's one of the reasons I love going to Vegas so much. Having stated that, what's the best way to get the best price on such a thing? Am I better off scoping out stuff on the Interwebz, or signing up with Random Dude X on The Strip?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.