1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Coore and Crenshaw on Pinehurst #2 restoration

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

If any of you guys see this, get on over to Golf Channel for a great running dialogue with Bill and Ben in advance of the Open.

2. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just caught them on Live From right now. Cool to hear their process to restoring it from pictures from the 1940s and adding some of their own touches on something such as #5 with the bunkers on the right that they weren't "sure" if they had ever really been there but fit the intention of the hole. Excited to see how the course plays out in the tournament as I was just down there about 2 weeks ago and go to experience it first hand and all I can say was job well done.

3. ken2v

Hopefully with Chambers coming next in 2015 owners and players will start realizing that Augusta is a freak show, an aberration, and we can get more courses back to being, well, courses. I love the centerline watering strategy in place on #2 now. I'll be at Poppy Hills in a few weeks; missed the grand reopening they just had. One fairway cut, restored sand/waste areas, better water management regimen -- that's the idea.

Awesome that you were just there, kl. Still on my checklist.

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

I know real golfers generally turn up their noses at this, but WGT has the course in virtual. Not sure how up to date it is.

5. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if I can say agree on August being a freak show because I think it is something special but I do agree I'd like to see more natural/rustic layouts. Really looking forward to Chambers Bay, since it has opened I have always loved the look of the course. the rustic nature is why Whistling Straits and Acardia Bluffs here in Michigan are near the top of my favorite courses I have played.

As for #2, a lot of talk was of it being "non-memorable" from a hole by hole perspective and I can see where they get that because they don't have a #17 at Sawgrass or #7 or #18 at Pebble but it was a great collection of golf holes that did not need one star to make it what it is, then you throw in the history of what Pinehurst is and means to the game of golf as "the guardian of golf" in the US. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get chills walking past "Putter Boy" and the Payne Stewart statue. Many will say it's not worth $400, as a lover of golf it was worth probably more!

6. ken2v

My opinions of Augusta and the tourney certainly aren't universally held, but that's cool. Golf has a number of sacred cows that I feel need to be gored. Augusta needs to be held off as some outlier, a one-and-done oddity or rarity since that's not as loaded of a concept. Like a thin strip of bricks remaining at the Brickyard, what we have down there is unique and we would do well not replicating it around the "track."

I love that feeling you get at certain courses. And, indeed, it's not about the money. You wanna feel like you were raped, pay those usurious wankers at Wynn GC. Or go play Hump Trashional LA and come away not with a memory of several hundred acres of the best Pacific headlands south of Stillwater Cove but those ludicrous Disneyesque waterfalls.

I think I'll pay a return visit to Chambers this summer.

7. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to get too off topic, but since you mentioned Chambers I may as well ask. How did you like it? I really need to get across to the other side of the state and play that course.

8. ken2v

Kinda hard to go off-topic where I'm concerned, Mr. Sidetrack, himself. And, by god, you are talking about the sacred subject so that's even better!

The joint played a bit screwy when they rushed to get the U.S. Am out there, but now the county and management team know what they have and know how to let the place be. The first two rules about Chambers are: Walk. Take a caddie. This is not a place you want to be speeding through at 20 mph, missing the feel of the firm turf, the ripples and rolls and contours, and guessing as to lines.

There's a mix of old school and new playing styles, a lot of allowance for the ground game and a lot of demand for aerial play. As kl said about #2, there's no camera-ready siggy hole here, rather 18 acts woven into one fun, demanding play. And though you don't have to climb down from the rim, this is an old quarry so for a course that is treated and watered and held to an old-school aesthetic there is a lot of rise and fall. In a word you'll hear a lot these next two weeks at Pinehurst, it is strategic.

I love it. Certainly at the top end of my personal play list.

9. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the review, Ken!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.