1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Converting $$$ to £££ in LV

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Mikey07, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Mikey07

Mikey07 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We head home on Monday and will have some dollars left over. What's the best way to convert them back to GBP before we come back? We get screwed sideways changing them back at home and I'm sure we'll get a better rate here.

Would a bank be our best bet or are there currency exchange places we can go to? Or can we just arrange a money transfer somewhere?

Cheers.

2. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best way is to find a recently arrived Brit with pounds they want to convert into dollars. Check current market rate and you both come out about 5 percent ahead. I suggest checking out the Portugal Germany match on Sunday at a pub or sports bar to locate possible candidates.

3. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Person to person exchange as already said above is easily the best way. Either in Vegas or back home - people always want dollars for trips.

The spread between buy ans sell at currency places is an absolute scandal.

5. Mikey07

Mikey07 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We tried asking friends back home before but had no takers! Where do people who live here go for their currency?

6. smerrian

smerrian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I travel abroad I usually get $500 or $1,000 in American Express Traveler's Cheques in the local currency at the local AAA club office. As a member of AAA there is no surcharge. If I'm going to Paris, one of my favorite destinations, I go to the Lebanese Bank which gives a great rate. I say this because you may find that an international bank in London may give much better rates than just any old bank that you use in your hometown. I think most people use very little cash and rely on credit cards when traveling. I know I do.

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a brilliant idea.

Maybe we can set up a sticky thread on here for foreigners looking to exchange in/out @ market rates. With no more DTG at par deal it would be certainly cool to flip back and forth from Canadian with a countryman headed the other direction.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just keep playing until it is all gone. LOL!

Do you still have some hotel bills to pay? Use that cash instead of charging it. Same with meals. And taxi to airport. Just a major RTW trip and charged almost everything. But, we did have some cash and tried to use it via taxi, food and hotels before leaving.

9. woodsie

woodsie High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hang on to your dollars for the NEXT Vegas trip. I keep my Euros after my European trips. Gonna go back eventually even if it's years.

10. Iceicecool

Iceicecool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I go international I use the Charles Schwab debit card. No ATM fees ever, and they even reimburse you fees charge by the machine. Also no international fees on any purchases and they give the true conversion rate for that day.

11. makuk

makuk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll take as many $'s that you have left and give you £'s for them, I live in the UK, by doing this we both get a better rate, drop me a PM if you are interested and let's do a deal :)

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do that as well. BUT - it does not help in this situation. The OP still has some U.S. Dollars left and does not want to take them back home and convert them back to his home currency.