1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Consumers & marketing

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    11 ways consumers are hopeless at math.

You walk into a Starbucks and see two deals for a cup of coffee. The first deal offers 33% extra coffee. The second takes 33% off the regular price. What's the better deal?

"They're about equal!" you'd say, if you're like the students who participated in a new study published in the Journal of Marketing. And you'd be wrong. The deals appear to be equivalent, but in fact, a 33% discount is the same as a 50 percent increase in quantity. Math time: Let's say the standard coffee is $1 for 3 quarts ($0.33 per quart). The first deal gets you 4 quarts for $1 ($0.25 per quart) and the second gets you 3 quarts for 66 cents ($.22 per quart).

More here:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/the-11-ways-that-consumers-are-hopeless-at-math/259479/

Christmas
  2. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it :peace:

3. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best are still the car dealers

They run full page adds in the sunday papers that probably run 40K or more each week . They tell Mr. Average that he can run down with his 2001 Honda and drive home a Caddy CTS for $169 a month or whatever that some people might believe. I couldnt tell you where the nearest Starbucks is within 15 miles or so from where I live and this is the most densely populated state in the country,go figure.

4. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FREE is my favorite four letter word......LOL

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am quite proud of the fact that I have never have had a cup of Starbucks coffee. I do laugh at the morning line of cars in the drive thru at SB.

Christmas
  6. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm proud of you Joe!!

When the recession hit,My daughter told me she had to cut out Starbucks, went to convenience store coffee or god forbid,making it at home.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.