1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Congratulation to Marcus Mariota

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by exds, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exds

exds Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well deserved Heisman Winner! :thumbsup:

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go Ducks!!!!!!!!!!

Attended U of O 1973-1976

3. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As one who is a Pac 12 guy and has had his team compete against Marcus over the years I must comment.
    He is as well desrving as any college athlete in recent times. Clutch player, leader, pats guys on the helmets who clock him, just a talented leader.
    Such a contrast in his person to his upcoming QB opponent in all aspects.

4. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well deserved award. Sure hope the Buckeyes get a chance to face him!

5. Hawaiianmark

Hawaiianmark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This kid is a complete class act. Not one can say that this guy is not the epitome of selfless team player.

He is; an will be, the new face of the NFL.

6. Gmoney10

Gmoney10 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats to the local boy! Way to make Hawaii proud.

7. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He "possibly" will be the new face of the NFL. RG3 and out was the poster boy in 2013..... The NFL and media manipulation is unforgiving. Much of it is matching skillsets to systems.... Granted RG3 is coming off of a major injury, but trying to fit him into Gruden's system is square peg/ round hole..... Put RG3 in Philly and the hype wagon would start up all over again. I don't think that either Nick Foles or Mark Sanchez are all world QB's, but they succeed..... Mariotta or RG3 would excel in Chip Kelly's design. I look back to Tim Couch to the Browns, Donovan McNabb to the Eagles and Akili Smith to the Bengals..... Has we shuffled the players around, with McNabb to the Bengals.... would McNabb have survived on those putrid Cincinnati teams??? No way in hell. Instead, he bacame a pro-bowler in Philly.

My hope for MM is that a mid-tier team trades up to nab him...... The bottom dwellers for the top pick in the '15 draft are not exactly QB friendly.

Nick:beer:

8. exds

exds Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree,. Hope he goes to the right team.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Oops, still wooly after getting in at 2 this morn! Sorry for the somewhat abortive/dupe post.

Attached Files:

10. ken2v

Thanks for starting this thread, exds!

After some of the recent winners, and particularly Heinous Jameis, who puts the p-u-n-k in asshole, Marcus truly is a reminder of what the Heisman represents, WHEN the committee follows its own mandate:

"The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work."

I think CFB Nation and not just Duck Nation can pause for a moment and be proud, without hesitation.

Oh, and look who showed up at our nephew's wedding last night:

IMG_0960.jpg

11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He would look good reunited with Chip Kelly, but the price is probably too steep to trade up.

12. Hawaiianmark

Hawaiianmark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True that a good fit will be key for his immediate success. The wild card factor is the kid is intelligent; quick feet; pocket passer friendly. His ability to read defenses an quickly go through his reads will endear him to almost all offensive coordinators.

Truly a gentleman.

Memor Et Fidelis Kalaepohaku! :peace:

13. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, I don't think he will succeed in the NFL. Bad teams draft highly. And warp speed quarterbacks are not experienced at leading in a huddle. Mariota is so humble and respectful I will be surprised if he will boss around grown men who have been gladiators since he was in junior high. But nice guy Kurt Warner was successful, so I have some hope for Mariota. I hope I'm embarrassingly wrong. He seems like a great kid.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big congrats to Marcus! All in Hawaii is proud of him (also glad that he left the islands because he never would have gotten to where he is if he stayed at UH). He is one of the rare gifted athletes who shows humility and class, unlike the previous Heisman winner.

Unfortunately as others have mentioned, he will probably go to a bottom tier team and get thrown into the mix to sink or swim. These bottom tier teams don't have a good cast of characters (receivers, linemen, etc.) so it will be hard to accomplish much and stay injury free. He should be the #1 pick in the draft, let's hope that a mid tier team that only needs a qb to complete their team and will trade upward to get MM. He isn't the prototypical QB so that may be a negative, with the recent crop of run and shoot (more run than shoot) qb's not performing very well he may not be as much in demand but hopefully he will have a great rose bowl and qb combine to make him the #1 pick in the draft.

One of the NY papers have him on the front page with the request for the Jets to "suck for the Duck", meaning they want the Jets to lose their last games to qualify for the #1 pick to get MM. He may be a good fit for NY, their qb's have been inconsistent so they need a good qb to take over. Hope he doesn't go to Washington as that place is a qb graveyard. Other teams on the bottom have qb's they can work with so maybe they might trade down to get more out of their draft pick? We can only hope.

15. ken2v

Coming out of school Mariota is of the Russell Wilson (albeit bigger, perhaps even smarter) mold. He's not a Manziel or RGIII.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.