1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Concrete and cutting in joints??

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over the years I've had 4 different concrete drives and sidewalks poured. Today, I'm having the fifth done and they are hand cutting in the joints. In the past, they came back the next day with the concrete saw and cut them in.

Different contractor each time, but now I'm curious. Is this something new in the business?

Eight guys have been working out there for over 3 hours and three truckloads of concrete. No wonder it is so damn expensive.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. TrewBrew

TrewBrew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last driveway I had poured they laid it in separate sections, but that was 20 years ago.
    Cost wise concrete is expensive in Milwaukee area because of the freeway project paid a ton for a garage slab last year.

3. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I switched to Brick Pavers. No more cracks.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm about to find out... our driveway is about a 35 degree angle (steep) from the garage on up to the street and I guess probably close to 120 feet long. It's almost 30 years old and badly cracked-up in some areas. This winter will likely be it's last, as the freezing and thawing, etc. of those cracks is really hard on it and the chunks are starting to pop up. Ughhhhhhh... I just know this won't be inexpensive. I like spending money on adding new things... not just replacing what I already have, but such is home ownership.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ours is segmented for a couple reasons - grade, and size. We also planned out a couple "future" sections when we built the house. So our joints are all natural stopping points (I think...It's been a while since the original was poured)

We love brick (concrete) pavers for walkways and patios, but the scope of installing the entire drive? Nope. (actually, we only have concrete up next to the house and down the incline to the walkout basement and lower garages - the expanse up to the road is gravel - we're in the country and we're set pretty far back from the road)

6. TrewBrew

TrewBrew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it would look awesome to have and add that different look to it but I can't imagine the cost on that. We had a patio put in and it was $15K plus so our 20 By 80 drive would be $60K as it would be 4 times the size,

Well I guess I can imagine the cost.

7. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No idea if this applies to your drive at all but my folks townhouse in Spokane had one segmented slab at the top that kept cracking, the other two never had a problem. Luckily the HOA was on the hook for the repairs and the second time it was replaced the contractor figured it out......the garage downspouts were both routed so that they drained under the slab a bit so in the winter it would freeze and crack from the excess moisture underneath.

Dad and I extended the downspout exits just a few feet further out from the slab and the problem was alleviated. This was the case for a few of the other units also and as I recall this fix solved it for everyone that had the same problem. Apparently the original builders had not thought of the drainage.