1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Computer Scam over phone to control my computer

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BackInVegas, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Mar 14, 2008
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was a first.

I am sitting at home reading the internet looking at stock information.

I get a phone call from "Microsoft." First red flag, why would Microsoft call me and how do they know my number?

The person asked me to turn on my computer? Huh? I was on it. You would think that Microsoft would know right now that my machine was on.

The person sounded as if from the continent of India. It was a male.

The person then had me do things that showed my machine had errors and was infected. Well, well, well. Those errors were caused by me because I terminate things via Task Manager and the computer logs those as errors. I did not tell the person this.

Eventually, we got to the point where I typed in from the run command what the person wanted. Which was to a website. I won't give the website but I will over a PM if you want.

I have my machine set to NEVER download anything unless I verify and check it.

As soon as I clicked on the icon he asked me too, my machine red flagged it and popped up this message. AA_V3.exe Allow or Block?

I quickly searched AA_V3.exe and discovered it is a trojan horse program.

Then I called Microsoft at 1-800-MICROSOft and talked to the security people. Oddly enough, the security people are in India(I know, no big shock there).

1. Microsoft told me they don't call people. I know that, I wrote software in the Microsoft Windows environment and my company was small potatoes and I never got a call. Why would Microsoft call my home network? How did they get my phone number?

2. The Microsoft security people really did not care. I was appalled at their attitude. The bad guy on the other end of the phone was going to walk people through on how to verify that they are "infected" and to download from their website(with a Microsoft sounding name) a trojan horse so the other people could control their computer.

Moral of the Story
    If someone from Microsoft calls and says your machine is infected, reply to them

"Impossible. I run on Apple."
  2. Callahan

Callahan Tourist

Oct 26, 2010
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was called as well

I received a similar call a couple months back from an Indian guy with "microsoft" saying there was a security breach of my home network and they wanted me to help them "resolve and document" the issue.

I asked the guy to exp[lain how such a thing was possible since I didn't own
    a computer ( Lying to theese people is fun ) and was quite amused at the
    embarrased silence.
  3. vegas3

vegas3 Low-Roller

Jul 22, 2012
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, I got the same call a few months ago. You wouldn't believe how many people fall for this scam. As soon as I said that I have a problem with this, they asked me why. Then I proceed to tell them that I am a Windows Security expert and do not like scams. They hung up the phone as quick as they could. I was going to get more information out of them, but was on my way out when they called.

BTW. Microsoft won't help anyone, that's why they would never call.

Please report it at => http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.