1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Comped Tips?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by allnetmom, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allnetmom

allnetmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi, I am new to being comped and having a host. At the MGM they comped our stay at the backend of our trip and said some tips might show up on our credit card. None ever showed up--did the servers at the restaurants get tipped what we left them?

We are wondering how this works, the check out host at Peppermill in Reno also said tips are not included when we checked out....but they never appeared on our statement.

Should we leave tips in cash? I am confused about how this works...

2. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The official line is always that tips cannot be comped. However, twice, after particularly heavy play and bad losses, absolutely nothing was charged to my card after stays at the Mirage (years ago.)

My understanding is that the servers would in fact receive the tips signed to the room and this is an unspoken gesture from the host like a cash/airfare reimbursement when you have plenty of room for additional discretionary comps after a large loss.

3. paperposter

paperposter VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it should show up .i also belive they put a minimal hold on your c card when you check in for incedentals it might come out of that usulay 150-250$

i always charge everything to the room so the host can comp it off,tips are not compable.

check pending charges

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tips are often referred to as HARD comps. And, unless you are a big spender and/or drop well over $10k - you will still pay for tips.

As to the server getting the tip, yes they will still get their tip.

This all assumes you put the tip on the bill, totaled and signed it just like a normal charge slip, and it was clear what your room number is.

5. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is correct. I usually leave cash tips for everything except the spa. And those have only been comped for me when my losses are really big

6. AceTen

AceTen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last trip my host organized a meal for me at STK. When the bill came I charged it to my room, including the tip. The next morning I went to breakfast, and did the same thing, put both the food and the tip on my room. When I checked out, the meal that was comped by the host wasn't even on the bill, and the meal I charged to the room was comped by the desk minus the tip, which I put on my cc.

7. allnetmom

allnetmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    O.K. thanks for info. As long as the servers are getting tipped I am down with continuing to put the tips on the room. I just don't want them to get stiffed--YIKES! They have a hard enough job as it is...We lost pretty hard during both trips, but no where near 10K. I will keep looking for the charges.....but it has been since late November.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, to keep all the book keeping straight with comp dollars, etc I have been doing cash on all checks. I write CASH on the slip and then leave cash.

That way I know the server will get it.
    I know nobody will increase the tip on the room charge.
    I do not have to look at that part of my final bill.

9. vegasdawg11

vegasdawg11 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tips are the second hardest thing to get comped, the hardest being retail (i'm excluding allowances and airfare for obvious reasons). This is because when you are comped a tip, the company is paying their own server the entire tip you left them - not like comping a $200 bottle of Jack (which only costs the company $10 for COGS). If the tips have not shown up on your CC bill by now, then they will not show up - which means congrats you got your tips comped!

10. allnetmom

allnetmom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I guess we are really good losers. Thank goodness for comps! Without them we might go broke faster......:kiss: at least we can tip in cash going forward!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.