1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Communal dining: the new normal

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by westie, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Thanks for the link, F. I never would've seen it otherwise.

What a great way to travel and dine!! We love it.

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m a misanthrope on a good day, so this just sounds excruciating to me.

Number 50!
  4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even though I consider myself outgoing....that doesn't really appeal to me. Would MUCH rather eat at the bar and strike up conversations there..I KNOW it doesn't make sense but that just me. Maybe because there are usually TVs with various sporting events on.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not for me. I would turn and walk out.
    One time at Benihana was enough for me.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm antisocial so I wouldn't even consider communal dining. :poke: I have eaten at Benihana but it is more because of the "show" that the chef puts on when cooking my food. They don't leave as much time to chat since we are usually stuffing our faces by that time, lol.

8. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I understand having different dining options is good, communal dining isn't for me.

I consider dining out an intimate, personal time thing, whether it is solo or with someone.

But, if you're feeling "pic-nic-ish", communal dining fits the bill.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Ahhhh, the dinner the three golf amigos had in Santa Fe at Cafe Pasqual's comm table with the vitamin saleswoman from Denver ...

10. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly I wouldn't consider communal dining either. I've dined at Tanaka of Tokyo (It's exactly like Benihana) and the communal dining is awkward and tense at best. Btw, the reason I ate at Tanaka of Tokyo was because of a gift certificate my Wife got from her boss and she wanted to go......

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So basically it's a family dinner only better cuz your family isn't there. I'm all for it.

12. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Count me a convert we ate at a place in Chicago that had communal dining as an option, like the article says "Group tables often don’t accept reservations, but they do serve many purposes." It was super busy so we snatched three seats and really everyone pretty much kept to their own group but since it was a small plates venue we were all spying on what the others were ordering. Was not a bother at all.

13. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I ate at Benihana's at Westgate and loved it -- which surprised me because he is not a social person. We also ate at Cheesecake Factory at Caesar's on our last trip. The tables may as well be communal they are so close together. The couple next to us picked up on our "Texas" accents and asked where we were from - they were from Arkansas and were pleased they heard kindred spirits. -- Of course we don't have the accents the rest of the non-Texans/southerners have accents. We had a nice time talking to them while we dined.

Many of the BBQ places around this part of Texas are all big communal tables - so you kind of grow up with that around here. In a small town you always see someone you know when you are eating so you really don't have a private dining experience anyways.

36th Wedding Anniversary
  14. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We wouldn't do this on a bet. I can't stand 99.999% of the people on the planet already, and having to eat with them would quickly lead to homicide. We've pretty much written off Yardbird for that very reason. We'd love to eat there, but not if it means rubbing elbows with other low-life scumbags.

15. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's just a fancy name.
    People forget how to eat in a college cafeteria? 2000(or 5000) people in a big hall, strangers share one big table, with someone even standing near the table.
    What's the big deal?

16. Alhanalasa

Alhanalasa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could maybe handle doing this on vacation. Maybe. I don't think it would fly in everyday life. Yes, I did it in college, but that was many years ago, and I don't go to restaurants in the hopes of recreating my college experience (bars, yes, but not restaurants). :)

17. bdautch

bdautch High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See, I don't think it's like a cafeteria. In those years, I ate with friends, and if others were there by chance then so be it. But I didn't really interact with strangers just because I was at the school cafeteria. The thing about a communal dining place is, what if you wind up with that one OH MY GOD HOW INTERESTING person? The one who just CAN'T GET OVER HOW AMAZING THAT IS HENRY DID YOU HEAR THAT and then you have to repeat it and now Henry thinks you're fascinating too. None for me, thanks.

18. mikeinctown

mikeinctown Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They do that crap at the Hilton Garden inn I was at a couple months back. No thanks. I went and got Chinese and ate in my room. I'd much rather eat at the bar with others because at least it doesn't feel like strangers are staring at you eating. ... more beneficial when you accidentally dump food off your fork. Lol

19. Lewis Roberts

Lewis Roberts Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There great, if you are in a hurry,plus you dont have too worry about people not talking you at the table because people who don't like too meet new people will not sit at one.Omni in Nashville was the first one I seen, it was great no wait and got too talk too people from all over the usa

20. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This article lost me in the first two sentences. "Healthy Menu" and "Hipsters" yeah I'll go eat somewhere else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.