1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Christmas Dinner

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Backagain1, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to have people over for Christmas Dinner - first time! And I do not want the gathering centered around food. I have a hard time understanding all the trouble people go through for Thanksgiving Dinner. With that said, what items might I serve that are simple and easy.

I was thinking ham, baked potatoes, salad and rolls.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trouble? We do that kinda stuff midweek when we get a wild hair. We love food and cooking, and our friends, families and guests do as well, so it's a no-brainer for us.

Costco is your friend, however. You can get all sorts of pre-fab goodies there, from bagged greens to starters, mains and sides, and on to dessert.

3. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, and sorry. Maybe I used the wrong termonology. At my parents home everything must be perfect and the stress level is super high to be sure it works that way. I want it relaxing and enjoyable, not like the celebrations I am used to. Hope that sounds better.

4. ken2v

No worries, my friend, I don't insult easily, but I have been told by certain folks around here who will go nameless that I can easily insult. lol

We don't go for perfect. We go for great food, great laughs and great times. (BTW, I WILL be making applewood grilled turkey again!)

But, seriously, Costco can do what you need. Or if you want to try some easy make-at-home stuff there are many of us here who can help with recipes.

5. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy works and yes I would love the help!

6. ken2v

Mindlessly simple and oh so tasty (run five miles/scoop):

Boursin gratin

Good with golds or reds. I don't peel.

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A ham that someone else has prepared and a few easy side dishes sounds like a very stressfree way for you to enjoy the holiday. I'm like Ken- I love to cook and prepare elaborate meals. But if it doesn't give you pleasure to do it, then there's absolutely no need!

I don't like potatoes, but a couple years ago I did mashed potatoes in the crock pot. Kept them out of the way and I could use my oven & stovetop for other things.

One of my favorite potluck meals (great for a vegetarian option!) is Giada De Laurentiis' butternut squash lasagna. You can make a few and they freeze great!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/butternut-squash-lasagna-recipe/index.html

Green salads are easy, healthy, quick to put together - favorite combos for me in the winter are spinach, blue cheese, pear & walnut, or using pomegranate arils and something like a poppyseed or other sweetish dressing.

8. hanoscf

hanoscf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is nothing less stressful to make than a ham! Buy a bone in ham, wrap in foil, place it in a covered roasting pan with some water and bake it at 325.

9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The crockpot is a busy person's best friend. It's forgiving (you can leave stuff on low in the crockpot without it drying out) and frees up space in the oven. A ham can be done in the crockpot very easily. You can also do one of those boneless turkey breasts in the crockpot. (give them a good rinse first to get the brine off) Most supermarkets have a lot of pre-made options like veggie trays, cheese and cracker trays, salads, desserts. You can still put on a nice spread without being chained up in the kitchen or feeling overwhelmed.

10. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great! Thank you everyone.

11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every one loves chicken wings.

why not give everyone something they love?

12. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate chicken wings. Too messy to eat when I'm dressed up, not enough meat to make it worthwhile to eat, and I don't like most of the sauces people use.

So, not everyone:peace:

My favorite ham recipe is Nigella Lawson's ham in coca cola, then use the leftover ham/coke juices as the base for her South Beach black bean soup. SOOOOOOO good!

13. ken2v

They're OK as a snack at a bar, but that's about it.

So, back, what kinda main you want? How about a beyond-easy soy-marinated flank steak with horseradish crema? Prep time is about five minutes.

14. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm figuring out my proteins now for Christmas - currently thinking baked salmon with fennel, and a pork loin stuffed with dried fruit & port sauce.

15. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Nice! Now I am not a cook. Do not cook well.... :(

16. ken2v

No way. Anyone who can read can cook!!

17. alicia

alicia Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  18. ken2v

Alicia, it's really nothing more than shoyu chicken marinade, which works just as well on beef (or pork or salmon):

1 c each soy, brown sugar and good beer (think German lager)
    1/2 c mirin
    6-8 gloves minced garlic
    Grated fresh ginger (several Ts worth)
    Big dash of sesame oil
    Diced red jalapeno (to taste)

For the dippy sauchy:

Crema Mexicana/creme fraiche, horseradish/wasabi to taste, minced scallion, pinch of salt and fresh ground white pepper.

19. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.