1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Christmas baking ideas that ship well

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by HoyaHeel, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love to cook but am not much of a baker. I love making Christmas cookies, but.....

My dad is currently working in Afghanistan (he's a civilian working for the Dept of Defense) I usually send him biscotti- he loves it, I have found a bunch of different combos (sweet and savory) and it ships really well because it's already hard!

He has requested home baked goodies for the holidays - he'll share with service members he works with, not just for him. I have a couple recipes I know I'll do - stollen biscotti, gingerbread biscotti, savory cranberry & thyme biscotti, sweet & spicy pecans....But none of my other "go to" Christmas recipes seem like they'll ship well (peanut blossoms - chocolate kisses will melt, etc) Snickerdoodles might work.

So if anyone has experience with things that will ship well - please let me know!!! Peppermint candy cane something or other?

(I plan to bake next weekend in the hopes that I *might* be able to get stuff delivered in time, but shipping can take 2-6 weeks, I never know)

Thanks!!

2. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think your best bet will be fudge, drop cookies, candy like peanut brittle and maybe a dense cake like fruitcake are going to be your best options to survive shipping.

3. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think the Regina (Queen's) Biscuit would work pretty well. How about candied pecans, they could be used as a packing material to fill the void. Popcorn could also be used as a void fill to cushion the cookies.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So this is my list right now - I'll get sick of baking, I'm sure. I don't need help with the packing - dad has been in Iraq & Afghanistan for the past 6 years so I send stuff fairly often. What I needed was new ideas because I've been through my binder of biscotti ideas, and NO CHOCOLATE is the rule handed down from dad, which restricts my imagination some:evillaugh

Stollen biscotti
    Gingerbread biscotti
    Savory cranberry & thyme biscotti
    Sweet & Spicy pecans
    Peppermint snaps
    Date nut icebox cookies

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.