1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Chinese, Thai and Japanese Foods

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Jimbo338, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chinese restaurants have been around as long as I can remember but now you are seeing Tai and Japanese cuisine at new restaurants. I enjoy stopping and doing Chinese once in awhile but have never tried Japanese or Tai. Can anyone explain the difference? I heard that Japanese cuisine was more fish centered. I would enjoy knowing the difference and also comments. Thanks.

Jimbo338

2. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to do my best, based on my limited knowledge...

Thai seems to be based more on coconut-based substances, noodles, and rice than Japanese seems to be. The big dishes, as far as I've seen, for Thai food are:

Curries- almost like thick soups, based on coconut milk, with varying degrees of spiciness (the different color curries that you get are based on how spicy they are). They'll have either chicken, shrimp, beef, or sometimes tofu, along with a significant portion of vegetables (peppers, onions, things like that). You serve it over sticky rice.

Satay- chicken, beef, or shrimp skewers cooked a specific ways, served with peanut sauce, which is also present in a lot of Thai dishes

Pad Thai- a noodle dish served with thick egg noodles, again with chicken, beef, etc, along with vegetables, and peanut sauce.

Japanese food does seem be more centred more on the specific use of beef, chicken, fish, etc, with different methods of cooking it- tereyaki, teppanaki, etc. They have different cooking methods and presentations and use different sauces.
    And of course sushi has become a big part of Americanized Japanese cuisine.

I don't know if that helps, but its the best way I can try to explain it.

3. ballhog

ballhog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thai is my favorite. I really prefer Thai over Chinese. I find Chinese to be more fried stuff and thick sauces. Where with Thai dishes usually contain allot more vegetables. Also they have curries and coconut milk, which is yummy. There are many different types of curry, but if your new to it, best to order it mild. thai dishes do have other sauces like brown Sauce which can be good. It's best for newbies not to burn the mouth, so if your just starting out order it mild. Also good to keep in mind the heat level from place to place always varies.

4. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

Thai is my favorite too. I love the complex flavors and textures. Sweet, spicy, crunchy, etc. It's all well balanced. They tend not to mess around with heat either and I like it hot. Veggies are well prepared. Similarly, I like Vietnamese for a wide variety of fresh vegetarian dishes. And Pho is a must when under the weather.

Japanese is great for Ramen, small plates and one pot dishes. I love the simplicity of sashimi and nigiri.

5. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I'd like to try thai; are there any buffets? It would be nice to sample a bit of this, and that. Thanks for enlightening me.

Jimbo338

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you get over to M Resort? They don't have a mere Asian station. They have a Chinese station, Thai station, Japanese station and Korean station. They may have a station for Vietnamese, too, but I don't know enough of the cuisine to pick it out.

7. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

Buffet offerings tend to be weak. That said, I think M Resort does a fair job. Their asian dishes are mild, but not too bad. Better than any other buffet around. Best bet is to check out a restaurant specializing in a particular cuisine. Like Sea at Bally's or Le Thai downtown. Archi's on W Flamingo is one of my favorites and they have lunch specials for 7.95 (closed Monday).

8. DBear

DBear VIP Whale

It's hard to pin down any cuisine to a single dish or dishes. That said, many people think sushi as Japanese and pad Thai noodles as Thai and sweet n sour chicken balls as Chinese. I like all these cuisines but the Thai and Japanese offerings in the US is are at least more authentic than the Chinese offerings. Not too many deep fried chicken balls in China, but give me roasted duck or BBQ pork with rice any day. If you see those meats hanging in the front window, give the place a try! (you definitely won't see any of those places on the strip, perhaps in Chinatown in Vegas).

Sushi is definitely the most popular Japanese dish in America and that's where the fish reputation comes in. I've eaten at a lot of buffets and try to encourage newbies to try the sushi there. Keep in mind, it's buffet sushi so the quality like everything else at the buffet is not the best. Once you get top quality fresh sushi, it's hard to ever go back to buffet or grocery store sushi again.

My Thai experiences are limited but I would agree with the noodles and curries mentioned above. Lots of vegetarians love Thai food because of the flavorful veggie options.

9. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    mmmmmmmmmmm you guys got me all psyched up! I always laugh when i go to the chinese buffets in town here. Both have hot dogs, wrapped kin a bacon strip with a tooth pick in it. Is this a thousand year old chinese dish handed down generation to generation? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.