1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Chinese Open Face Poker

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by kingslender, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just read about this and how all the famous poker players (Helmuth, Negreanu, etc.) are playing this almost exclusively in their cash games because nobody has really figured out the strategy yet, where as in Hold'em everyone knows the odds and strategy and it becomes almost routine for them, aside from a few risks/bluffs here and there.

I downloaded an app and am pretty hooked on it and the fact that everything that is open face makes it even more challenging. The one issue I see is the the royalty scoring is pretty complex, so it seems pretty hard to play without a program.

If anyone has played with friends with a real deck, did you play with royalty scoring or just play 1 point per hand + 3 for a scoop?

2. TRN

TRN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was very popular last year - so popular, that they were talking about adding Chinese Open-Face to the WSOP this year. And in a blink of an eye, the popularity disappeared, they didn't add to the WSOP, and I see absolutely no one playing it anymore. Maybe it was a fad, or maybe it will make a come back, but at this point it's pretty irrelevant - a far different story from last year when it looked like it was going to take over.

I did try to play once, wasn't feeling it, and never really played it again after that, as it sort of disappeared as I stated above.

3. kingslender

kingslender Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huh, I guess I don't follow the poker scene all that closely. Sounds like it's still popular in cash games, but I can see how it's not conducive to TV because nobody has really figured out the ideal plays and they can't just throw up percentages like they can on hold'em.

4. TRN

TRN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's definitely true. It has a big underground following that seems to be strong, I am guessing it pops up as popular a few more times til it catches on for good.

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a bit surprised they didn't add it though. The unofficial event they held last year got a pretty good turnout. I'm also surprised they added a $10k 2-7 Triple Draw event (if only I had money!!) and a $1500 "Dealer's Choice" event that includes games like "Badeucey and Badacey".

6. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

My buddies used to play this game before our home game started, or if we were short handed for our regular home game. We called it "13 Card". If i remember right, we did the 3 point scoops, but not sure. I do know 6 pair, royal flush, and 4oak(?) Was an automatic scoop...maybe a couple other hands to, but dont remember. It was definitely fun! Much livelier than playing Pai Gow or Asia Poker.

EDIT: i just realized this game is slightly different from Chinese Poker (13-card). Ignore what i said, as i have never played this variant before. However, i am now very interested in playing it...lol.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.