1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

cheaper airfares

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Gomar, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gomar

Gomar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/08/30/how-to-get-cheapest-price-on-airfare/

a few questions on the article:

"Prices are at their lowest between 18 to 28 days prior to your trip...
    Domestic fares are lowest 21 days before departure"

I havent found that to be true. In fact, I saw no difference in prices if I book 3 months ahead, or 1 week.

"Overnight flights can be good bargains"

sounds good. and you dont lose a whole day in flight.

"Buying two one-way tickets from different airlines may be cheaper than a round-trip ticket"

strange, I have never tried it; but will check it out. Anyone done that? So that's say Delta flying from NYC to Vegas, and then United back.

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i agree with those timeframes most of the time. the issue is when it's a full flight and then the price goes up. but i've never understood booking 3-6 months. 6 weeks out is the earliest i ever book and often only 3 weeks out.

as far as the one way thing, that has never worked for me. usually a one way ticket is almost as much as a roundtrip ticket. the only thing i was able to do one time that was cheaper was book a 3 leg flight instead of booking 2 roundtrips and it came out much cheaper than 2 separate roundtrips. but that only works if you need to go to 2 different cities.

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I havent done the switching airlines thing except on a 3 way trip (SW to denver for a couple days, SW to denver for 4 days, Delta back home).

But I had been looking at that for my February trip. Not booking yet, but if I did so today it could save me 70 bucks!

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes you can get terrific deals by being a little "creative." For example, over the past few years, Ms. Gecko made several trips to San Diego for work, with her company picking up her expenses. Amazingly, a r/t ticket to Las Vegas (from Atlanta) on Delta, combined with a "puddle jumper" on Southwest between LAS and SAN was nearly always significantly less expensive than a r/t ticket between ATL and SAN!

We'd fly into Vegas, she'd sometimes go directly onto SAN upon arrival, sometimes in the middle of a trip, and other times at the end of a trip and meet me back at McCarran for the flight home. Her company had no difficulties with her unselfish efforts at saving them money! Therefore, we'd usually try to schedule Vegas trips around her work schedule.

This is just one example; there are many others. Yes, it can take an awful lot of effort looking at dozens of scenarios, which involves changing flights and the hassles that go with it, but it can result in significant savings. And in addition to saving money, there's a certain satisfaction in beating the airlines at their own game. And truly, between some of the ridiculous airfares and the way they bounce around from day to day, what else would you call it but a game? (Okay, I can think of other names, but I'm trying to keep it nice! :))

5. g-didi

g-didi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have booked two different carriers. I took Frontier to Las Vegas as I couldn't get an early flight out that day that wasn't a small fortune. I then took Delta home. The savings and preferred flight time was worth it to me. It wasn't the cheapest combination flight for that day, but I factor my time and connections etc as a value when deciding what is "worth" it to me.

I didn't find it a hassle in the least. I found using a search engine like Kayak will give you various scenarios and then I just go to the specific airlines site and book what I want.

(Be careful - dont book a cheap flight to say Denver, then book another cheap flight to Las Vegas with a short layover especially with a different carrier. You want to be protected if you miss your connection so book it as one ticket or leave what you feel is a safe window in between.)

Lots of options.... find one you can live with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.