1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. SWA Premier

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by da1chifan, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I signed up for the SWA card a couple years ago for the bonus <s>miles</s> points. I have liked that it is a quick way to get tickets. It is also very easy to make changes to tickets as the points you save by changing a flight or the price going down just go back into your account.

However, I am seeing that Chase Sapphire Preferred card transfers points 1:1 to many carriers, including SWA.

I am thinking I have no more use for the straight SWA card and it would be better for me to move to the Sapphire Preferred since it gives the same benefit plus some. Basically the same annual fee. Both also 0% international transaction fees too, but I don't care about that because my Hyatt card covers that.

(Background might be helpful to determine which is best... I have been using the SWA card for almost every bill that will allow CC payments and almost everything else throughout the month, then pay it off every month. So, interest fees don't matter to me if they are different between the cards. I am currently accumulating 3-5k in points each month. Also, I only fly SWA less than 1/3 of the time, flying non-rev most of the time.)

Any input or experience is welcome! :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred and it is my personal favorite card. I like the sign up bonus - 40k or 50k points depending upon when you apply - and I love that it's metal! The first year is free but $95 for each year thereafter. The Chase Ultimate Reward points that it earns are very valuable to me when used for travel related purchases. For my upcoming trip, I priced out a rental at McCarran through Dollar and it came out to over $200 for our 5 day stay. However, using Chase points, it came to about 8900 points ($89 equivalent).

3. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe that the Southwest card is better because it gives back a better percentage on purchases.

At the worst, the SW card gives 1% back on purchases. Spend a $100 on your card, get 100 points put in your account. At the worst, 100 points can be used to buy $1 in gift cards off the Southwest Rewards site from just about any place, including airlines other than Southwest.
    So $100 spent, $1 "cash" back, equals 1% return.

But, if you buy Southwest tickets with your points, the effective return can be as much as 2%. I just looked at a ticket price, a Wanna get away price. $193 cash price, or 9,544 points. That divides out to 49.45 points to a dollar. 50 points per dollar would be exactly 2% return on credit card purchases. So that ticket is slightly better than 2%. True, not every ticket works out that well though. The business class tickets usually are closer to 100 points per dollar. But still, that is as good as the Sapphire rate, and again, that's the worst case scenario in using your points.

Now I know this next thing won't apply to many people, but, if you put $110,00.00 on your card during a year, you earn a companion pass. With it somebody can fly with you for free for a year. And that includes tickets purchased with points or cash. So now instead of a 2% return you are getting a 4% return. If you use it that is. I am pretty sure no credit card gives anywhere near 4% return on purchases.

I use my card for work. I have been getting companion passes for several years. Getting the Southwest card is just about the smartest thing I have ever done. No, I am not a stockholder of Chase or Southwest! You asked!

4. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the insight!

The CSP gives 7% annual dividend over all points earned in the year, 2% on travel and restaurants, and 1% on everything else.

I don't ever use my SWA card for actual cash ticket purchases, always just use points for tickets. (I only fly SWA about 1/3 of the time.)

I need to read more about this companion pass though because I think the Premier card gives bonus points towards that. I do put almost all of normal monthly expenses on the card and pay off every month to get the points. If it is 110k, I am only going to get about halfway there, not including whatever the Premier bonus is.

More things to consider! :)

P.S. No worries that you are affiliated with Chase or SWA. LOL I have 3 Chase cards myself, I have only great things to say about them. Plus, I like having everything on one page! :)

5. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the SW one with the $99 annual fee, but they give you 6000 miles when you pay so it really amounts to nothing since those pts get you at least $99 worth of flights. What does the chase one give you for that annual fee, if anything?

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which categories do you have a lot of spend on? I have specific credit cards I use depending on the transaction.

I had the Chase Sapphire Preferred and think it's a good overall card. The best thing about the card is the customer service, especially not having to deal with any voice prompts.

7. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For use we travel little so the yearly fee actually adds up and cuts into the benefits.
    If you travel a lot and use a variety of airlines the other card may benefit more.
    There is also other cards without a yearly fee that will allow you to use points for any airline.

8. bdautch

bdautch High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing to consider is Southwest Shopping Rewards and Southwest Dining Rewards.

I needed a new PC, and I wanted to go with Dell. So I logged into Southwest Shopping Rewards, typed in Dell, and it turned out they were offering 3 points for every dollar spent. So I clicked through and made a $1,500 purchase. This ultimately resulted in 6,000 points: $1,500 for the actual charge on the card, and also 4,500 at the x3 rate I was quoted.

Similarly, my city (Washington, DC) is flush with restaurants in the Southwest Dining Rewards program. I routinely get 1-3 times points on restaurants that are not only in my city, but on my *block*. So with little to no effort, I can walk about 30 seconds, run up a $50 tab at happy hour, and wind up with 200 points ($50 for the charge, 3x points if it's on Sunday-Thursday, so there's another 150).

I'm not sure if Chase Sapphire has these alternate methods of earning points, so I thought you might want to be aware of that.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play the credit card game. I have 3 cards from Chase. Freedom, AARP & SWA, plus AMEX and BOA.

BOA pays back 2% on groceries
    AARP pays 3% on restaurants
    Freedom, until March 31st pays 5% on gas
    AMEX we only use at Costco

The SWA card for everything else.

Now starting April 1, the Freedom card will payback 5% at restaurants for the next 3 months.

My wife gets so pissed at this, she has to put little stickums on each card so she knows which to use, where. I must admit sometimes I stand there with my wallet open thinking about which card I am supposed to use.

Christmas
  10. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know a few people who tape a small piece of paper onto their credit cards so they know which CC they should use. I recommend doing that as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.