1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Charlie Sifford

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A true pioneer of sports. First African/American on the PGA Tour passes on at 93. R.I.P.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember him playing in some Senior events years ago... big cigar hangin' from his mouth. When you think of breaking the color-barrier, doing it in the PGA couldn't have been any picnic.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Golf never handled other than WASP all that well.

Spiller, Rhodes, Sifford, Shippen, Louis, pioneers for this game in the truest sense. If you've not seen "Uneven Fairways" on Golf Channel there are certain to be many rebroadcasts in the wake of Sifford's death.

Thank heaven twigs-and-fairies California stepped to the plate and put the PGA of America in its place on this. But it still was an uphill struggle after that.

4. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I f you guys want to read more history along this line google Scotch Hills (now) or Shady Rest (1900) Country Club .
    This club ,close to where I grew up, was the the first Afro-American owned Club in the US .A short simple 9 hole club was the home course of John Shippen ,the first Afro-American Pro to play in the US open.Older guys always told me that it was the happening place to see all the big jazz bands from the old days and some very big name boxers and other Black celebs lost a lot of money there..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.