1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Charging to room question

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by M_ILIS, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_ILIS

M_ILIS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This may sound naive but I'm not fully sure how charging items to my room works. Here's my question/situation: I'm not a comped player, so I always pay for my own hotel room and I don't tend to charge things to my room. Also, I use a debit card at check-in (please don't let this turn into one of those threads debating debit vs. credit card for incidentals), so often the hotel will reserve a certain amount on my account and then it gets released back at some later date. This isn't a big deal for me, but I will admit it is a minor annoyance. Starting tomorrow I'll be at Green Valley Ranch for two nights, and apparently their policy is to reserve $100/nt., so that means $200 will be tied up from my account for probably 7 days or so beyond our trip. So circling back to the topic, I'm wondering if I charge meals and whatnot to the room, then will they just use the $200 hold toward those charges at check out? That way, I don't have to wait for the funds to be released back into my account and it all the finances would be done with when I check out, but I'm not sure if that's how it works or not. (The alternative would be to pay for the meals as they happen, and then the hotel has that money plus they still have the hold on my bank account. My hope is that what I suggested is a way to get around that a bit.)

Does this make sense? Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, thats what it is for: to cover the costs of anything you charge to your room or any additional room charges you incur while staying there (some people think the deposit is to cover damage and such to the room but for that the hotel is just going to ignore minor stuff and would instead sue you over major stuff - a $100/nt deposit isn't going to cover a $1000 mattress being set on fire or a $500 mirror being broken).

Incidentally, you can usually just put down a cash deposit of the same amount (IE: you leave $200 cash on deposit instead of having them hold an amount off your credit or debit card) and then at the end of your stay you check out via the front desk and they will refund any cash that wasn't use to cover room or incidental charges.

Plus, if you never charge to room or just don't feel comfortable with it at most places you can just say at check in "I don't need charge to room" and they won't take any deposit at all.

3. Smallz23

Smallz23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always do cash deposit to avoid random chargers after check out. Since they do require you to add your credit card when booking online.. Upon checkin.. And making a cash deposit.. I also request them to del all credit/debit card info that's even stored in their system. With cash deposit.. At least I know what's been charged before I end my trip. Any unknown charges can be disputed right away and I can end my trip without any worries of hidden charges etc.

4. TyrC

TyrC Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years ago I stayed at Palace Station and ordered the King Crab Legs.
    It was a neat experience to order something without knowing the price.
    It was priced at market rate. I told the waiter to charge it to the room. It was
    done. Made me feel like a big shot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.