1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Charge for spouse on rental car?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by GeorgeJ., May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supposedly, Nevada law says that rental car companies are not allowed to charge for adding your spouse to the rental car contract, so there would be no extra fee that they always like to charge? Anyone have recent experience with that? Do you have to question them trying to charge you & then they'll leave that charge off? Or will they own up and say there's no charge for a spouse when you inquire?

2. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every time we've rented, we've been told there was no charge for a spouse. We've used Dollar, Thrifty, Budget, and National, and always got the same response.

3. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

No charge when we book through Costco with Alamo/Budget but $13/day at Dollar. I even called corporate to confirm and they were adament about charging for a spouse. Nevada law says that a spouse is an authorized driver but that doesn't mean that they can't charge. This argument has been going on for a long time on this board so I can only tell you about our experience.

4. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oo “Authorized driver” means:

NRS 482.31515  “Authorized driver” defined.  “Authorized driver” means:

1.  The short-term lessee of a passenger car.

2.  The spouse of the short-term lessee, if that person is a licensed driver and satisfies any minimum age requirement of the short-term lessor.

3.  The employer or coworker of the short-term lessee, if the employer or coworker is engaged in business activity with the lessee, is a licensed driver and satisfies any minimum age requirement of the short-term lessor.

4.  Any person listed on a lease by the short-term lessor as an authorized driver.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 1618) (Nevada law since 1989}

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  5. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It'll be obvious on mine as I have two cars reserved with Dollar and the second to be driven by my wife...the short version of the reason is that my Diners Club card covers primary insurance and I didn't want to pay for the high priced "insurance" on the second car (the last time we went to Vegas she totaled the second rental car when it got creamed by an 18-wheeler on I-15; I had told her to skip the high pressure "insurance" and since it had gone onto her credit card, it wasn't covered by primary insurance). I was going to put that one on my card but the agent ran her card before I could pull out my Diner's Club..

6. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    car or Car"s"

Ok George,
    Please be obvious, as on your Original post you said "car" not Car(S), my mistake.

Any change in dynamic, like multiple cars, drivers not covered by insurance or requirements for secondary insurance, or any other circumstances might alter your liability matrix.

On the Credit card coverage, it is made to be confusing, vague, and can change at any time, including what & where they cover-By design.
    Just the simple act of going -off road can void many policies (yes there are many gravel trails in Nevada), some types & styles of vehicle are not covered,
    or even going out of the state of Nevada, all complicate the issue & can lead to lengthy legal arguments on both sides.
    Things like accidents are very annoying & The once "your covered" by your CC, is now a 50/50 proposition, as there always looking for ways to unload their liability.

Anyhew, have fun! :wave:

7. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As said above in Nevada they can't charge extra for a spouse to be an additional driver. I'm not married so I go through Costco so I don't have to pay extra for my GF to be added. It's a nice perk that Costco offers on all of their car rentals.

8. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you add the spouse online? Is the online system smart enough not to charge for the spouse.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.