1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Carry On or Checked Bags

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by lowsmith, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowsmith

lowsmith Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a habitual over packer. I will almost always have a lot of unused clothes when I get back from a trip. Given that, I usually have to draw the line at 4 or 5 days before I am forced to check my luggage rather than carry it on.

Just wondering how long most folks can go with just a carry on and what strategies you have to avoid over packing.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We fly almost exclusively on Southwest these days and could never go back to just a carry on. We each take one big bag for free and could also take a second for free.

Never wait more than 10 minutes at baggage claim. I guess I'd rethink if they start charging for luggage, but we did carry ons for years and I don't think I'd want to go back to that.

Christmas
  3. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

I will always pack a carry on. I did two weeks in Italy in one carry on suitcase each for my husband and I. No easy feat since he's a big guy. A week in NYC and Seattle were tough too since I needed warm clothes.

I roll everything. I also choose items that can be worn more than once or can be layered. When in Italy, I had to do laundry in the sink. Future travels I will pack quick drying items.

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pretty much always pack for a week, no matter the length of the trip. Mix & match, layer, & do laundry en route and I'm good to go. Whether or not that fits in a carry-on depends on the nature of the trip and what non-clothing items I need to take. Heck, I can do a week in Costa Rica in a backpack, but packed 4 bags and a cooler for a weekend in the mountains:evillaugh

Though checked bag fees annoy me, I'm currently elite on Delta so it doesn't affect me. My concerns are what I have to haul through airports and cities (on public transportation:nworthy:) by myself.....I thought I did really great on a long cruise last year until I had to carry my bags over (only) 2 bridges in Venice:ssst:

5. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can check bags on Delta without charge, but always take a small carryon bag. I don't have to wait to check it, retrieve it, or risk the airline losing it (what they call "misplacing"). My brother, who hikes the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine taught me a few things about packing. Lay out what you think you'll need, divide it in half, and then take half of that. Even then, you'll probably be taking too much. Works for me on trips as long as 2 weeks. (Okay, I got a sweater dry cleaned once, but that was only because I spilled something.) And by staying in multiple hotels, nobody has to see me in the same clothes twice – as if they'd notice, care, or if I'd care. Simple!

6. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are men doing for razor blades when they do carry on?

Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of days with a carry-on only works.

More than that it will not fit into my largest carry-on bag.

8. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Very well said Joe--Southwest is only Airline I fly..My neighbor is a captain for the Airline and ever since meeting him we try to Fly Sw all the time --You can't beat the free bags at all...But I use 1 carry on for my laptop and of course my sneaked on scotch..:beer:

9. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love carry on. I hate checking bags. I did 5 nights last September carry-on. Any more days and I either would have had to do laundry or pack more. I pack pretty light and usually don't have unworn clothes brought home. I'd never pull it off though if it was a cold climate though.

10. JDinTN

JDinTN MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're allowed to carry normal safety razors in your carry-on which are what most guys use like Gillette or Schick. If you use the old style straight blade then you'd need to check it in.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've shaved with an electric for ~25 years now and never even gave that a thought. Interesting, couldn't you still cut somebody's throat with a Gillette or Schick?:poke:

Christmas
  12. haswhit

haswhit Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I are both each taking a carry on suitcase this upcoming trip. We will be in Vegas for ten days.............five days on the strip and then we will be moving out to Sams Town for the next 5. We will be doing laundry at Sams Town.

13. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always check a bag as I'm also a habitual over packer. I've gotten better though. Before this past trip I had a carry on and a checked bag, this time is was just a checked bag and backpack to haul my camera/iPad. Given how small carry on suitcases are I can't figure out how folks do it.

14. JDinTN

JDinTN MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't see how. They have like 4 tiny sliver sized blades in them, if you were somehow able to take the actual blades out of the cartridge they're so small and thin they're barely more threatening than a safety pin.

15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another exclusive Southwest flyer here... I'm usually out for 3-4 days and can fit everything I need into a carry-on bag... and I do... but I prefer to check it anyways. I'm one of the first 5 people to board, so bin-space isn't an issue for me... I just like the freedom of getting up and leaving the plane with just my briefcase. Plus my Vegas experience is that the bags come down pretty quickly, so there's rarely much of a wait.

16. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last trip was a carry on only and I'll never go back to a checked bag.

17. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, they just aren't very big. I'm much more afraid of grandma's and their knitting needles.

18. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in 1 of 2 situations usually

1) I bring nothing but things I fit into my pocket. Usually wallet, keys, phone, 7in tablet.
    2) I bring a laptop which means I'm bringing a backpack and then usually a rollerbag.

Basically if I can get away with no bags, I will do so. Once I have to bring one though(laptop bag counts for me) I will attempt to do only carryon if the length of trip allows.

19. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Carry on

I use carry on all the time unless I am bring home a bottle. Last trip was nine nights, 1 carry one, and 1 laundry stop after 3 days.

20. matti

matti Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got back from a 4-night solo trip to Vegas and I just packed a small duffel bag as a carry-on. Toiletries, some pants, a few shirts, and unmentionables is all I need. I don't go to clubs and I don't do nice dinners, so it's pretty easy for me to pack light. I've been to Vegas about 7-8 times, I believe, and I don't think I've ever checked a bag. I could see how you'd want to check a bag, though, if you were bringing lots of nice clothes for dinners/clubs, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.