1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Carry-On Luggage - United

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by CRG7, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRG7

CRG7 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Vegas next month, flying United out of Newark. I'm only packing in carry-ons, but I'm having trouble trying to maximize my space on a limited luggage budget. I tend to road trip to destinations, so I don't want to spend a ton of money on luggage at this time to use on rare occasion. My usual vacation bags are slightly off on dimensions, and of course I am less limited on bags when I travel by car.

United's max sizes are: 22 x 14 x 9 for a carry on and 17 x 10 x 9 for a personal bag.

To be noted, I have a 15.6" laptop that I hope to be able to fit as well (15" x 10" x 1" actual laptop dimensions).

Does anyone have any suggestions for budget-friendly luggage in these sizes, preferably that will maximize my space without requiring me to check a bag? Internet searches are driving me insane, and I'm a little tired of searching around Amazon and reading mixed reviews and dimensions.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done Untied a number of times with only carry-ons and only had one issue. I usually put my normal purse into a larger tote bag and carry that as my "personal" item. I have a bag that has a zip expansion which will fit in the sizing box unexpanded but not expanded.

The only problem I had was changing planes once (Untied is notorious for big-plane little-plane roulette on some routes) when it would not fit in the overhead even though it fit in the sizing box. They had to take it down and check it.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    buy a standard carry-on and bring a large tote. I recommend the Delsey line of luggage. My carry on bag is an older version of this bag. http://www.ebags.com/product/delsey/helium-sky-carry-on-exp-2-wheel-suiter-trolley/279507?productid=10320337. I've taken it on at least 25 flights without any problems. If you shop around, you might find it for $50 at Marshall's or elsewhere online. I like the two wheeled soft side. Others like the 4 wheeled hard side. It all comes down to personal preference. Rules for the personal item is that it must fit under the seat in front of you. I usually bring a backpack and my wife will bring a large purse/tote. Maybe get a laptop case and throw it in the tote.

4. Kickin

Kickin Flea

You will continue going insane because the listed sizings are not always accurate, sometimes they are off by a lot. You're better off going to a store with a tape measure and measuring them for yourself. United has become strict with bag sizes out of EWR, nowadays I see them checking bags in the sizer that would never even have gotten a second look in the past.

I've posted before that my favorite carry-on bag by far is the Briggs & Riley Baseline Rolling Garment Bag and it truly does fit those dimensions and slides into the United sizer with ease. Its $500 on their site so maybe not considered budget-friendly but this thing will last you your entire life as well as your kids and grandkids. I bought it during a period when I was spending most of my time traveling mostly international and this bag could hold a ton of clothes. Its a garment bag so things lay flat and its not great for carrying big bulky items but easily carries shoes, toiletry bags, etc. I could easily put 3 suits in there along with a bunch of shirts, slacks, etc, it is super sturdy and fits into any bin save for some of the tiny regional jets where you have to gate check anything bigger than a purse.

Here is a link to it, it looks like its changed a bit since I bought mine several years ago but its essentially the same: http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Carry-On-Wheeled-Garment-Bag_U174&col=baseline&cat=garment%20bags

5. CRG7

CRG7 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the recommendation, Snidely! I found a comparable Delsey on Amazon for $55, thinking about pulling the trigger and returning it if I end up not liking it or if the dimensions are off. I also plan to get out to some stores sometime this week, with a tape measure.

dmr, I also plan to put my purse in the tote or in my bag. May I ask which luggage you use?

6. spicole

spicole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had a Delsey Helium luggage set for several years now. I *love* it and can strongly recommend them. I fly at least a couple times per months and get a lot of use out of my bags. I have the 2-wheeled versions - and vastly prefer it. I like how they roll, and have come to really dislike the 4-wheeled spinners. The "rims" are a nice touch, too! The bags are sturdy and light. The carry-on size always fits in the overhead bins wheels first (like it should!), although it might look like it will be a tight fit. The extra handle on the bottom is a great touch, too.

7. CRG7

CRG7 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you!

I purchased a Delsey Helium Sky and a Helium Quantum from Amazon, to measure them. The Sky's dimensions are almost spot-on (if I don't over-pack it, or it will exceed the 9" width). The Quantum measures more than 22", but less than 23" if I include the top handle. This squishes down, but not enough to hit the 22". Not sure if this would pose a problem if they really are checking everything at EWR, as another poster mentioned.

In the meantime, I found a bag that is the exact 17" x 10" x 9" for the personal bag. It won't be large enough for my laptop (due to the way the bag opens), so I would either have to find a different bag (unlikely, I feel) or put my laptop in the larger carry-on bag until I get seated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.