1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Car rental in November

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by redzone, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I maybe got lucky and booked a car from Nov 9th - Nov 14th from Payless for a full size at $165.00. I have been checking pretty well every day since and there is nothing under $200.00 from any of the others. Anyone used Payless before?

Anyone else looking around that time and if so what rates are you seeing?

Is there something special going on at that time?

2. NickyDim

NickyDim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Payless is a bait and switch on car size. I rented a intermediate/standard (fusion or similar) and they wanted to give me an Elantra or a Sentra. I argued and argued that those cars were not a similar car to a fusion and finally they gave me an Altima. Should've taken the Elantra. But they do get you through the rental center pretty quick, quicker than Dollar.

We rented with Budget this next time in Dec. and they had great prices.

3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented from payless before. be aware that payless is a cut rate agency, has a limited selection of cars available and sometimes you have to wait for a car to be returned. I was lucky when I rented a car, only 1 car my size (economy) was available so I got my car quickly but there were others (2 or 3 groups) waiting for their larger sized cars, they were waiting over 45 minutes for the car to be "prepped" but I think they were waiting for the car to be returned. One group also got the bait and switch, were offerred a smaller car (for the price they paid for a large car) but I think it was because the car size they wanted was unavailable even though they booked it online.

There is usually only 1 or 2 clerks at the desk so be prepared for slow service. I got in at 7 am and there was a line of over 20 people waiting! funny because the other agencies had 1 or 2 customers and were done in short time, while we had to wait over an hour to reach the front desk. Some in line actually got disgusted and went to the other agencies even though it cost more.

IMHO, if you can rent from the national chains (dollar, thrifty, etc.), pay a few bucks more for better service and better selection of cars. but then payless usually has the lowest rates (next to fox) so it's usually a big difference between payless and the other chains.

The dates you are looking coincide with the veteran's day holiday and weekend, probably the last big weekend before the holiday (thanksgiving and xmas, new year) season, that could be a factor in the higher prices. Not sure if there is a big convention at the time so it could just be the holiday crowd.

4. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought I would try fox for rentals and this is something I did not know:

"Upon arrival at the Las Vegas airport, please board the McCarran Car Rental Shuttle bus from the baggage claim area. Once you arrive at the Car Rental Center, exit the bus, and go to the taxi pick-up waiting area located just outside the Car Rental Center, and stand at sign number 4. Once at sign number 4, board the Fox Rent a Car shuttle for a short ride to the Fox Las Vegas location.

Beginning August 15th, 2013, all customers picked up at the McCarran Rent A Car Center and transported to Fox Rent A Car will be charged a $1.50 per rental day Airport Transportation Fee."

So Fox does not have a spot at the car rental location so you have to take another shuttle and pay $1.50 extra per day of rental for this privilege.

Umm No thanks.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.