1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Can't pack e-cigs in checked luggage

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by pleepleus, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/27/dot-bans-e-cigarettes-in-checked-luggage.html

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
  2. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A 21 year old Florida man is in a coma after one exploded in his face.
    Can you take the battery out? I don't know anything about them.

3. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, he is in a medically induced coma because the e-cig exploded as he was using it. I would think it would be safer to have it in your possession as opposed to being in packed luggage because they have even exploded while idle...oh yeah, just like cell phones and the batteries in them have also had issues while in use, idle, charging as well, but they haven't banned them.
    Someone could as easily cause a worse problem with a book of matches that are allowed in carry on or pocket

4. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I'm 99.9% sure this guys ecig blew up in his face because he didn't know what he was doing. If you look at a picture of the ecig he was using it was an advanced setup that you have to educate yourself on before using. For the most part the stuff you buy at shops/online is not going to blow up in your face.

5. g8rb8k8

g8rb8k8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree dfalk, he probably modified it somehow. I had thought that I had seen on the news the other day that you couldn't have them in carry on. I misread the OP, so thats fine, I would imagine that most vapers are going to want them for when they get off that plane and not having to wait around for their checked bag to make its way to them :)

6. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew with AA from the UK last month and one of the guys I was with had a vapour cig, he hadn't put it in checked bag but the cable to charge it was in the checked bag and he had to get it out and put it in his hand luggage.

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stig, I'm confused. The TSA made him take the ecig charger out of checked luggage and carry it on? That makes no sense. Does this mean I can't pack the power strip in my checked luggage either?

I understand that ecigs are relatively new and that the batteries (like all batteries) can cause a fire risk if they aren't turned off, and especially in crowded luggage where they can be activated and start a fire, but the cord? That's just nuts.

8. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, 2 things.... 1. Uneducated use of an ecig can justifiably cause a small explosion, and 2. For the most part regular ecigs won't blow up?

Wow, dangerous pastime.

Nick:beer:

9. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was at the AA check in desk at Manchester when he had to do it, he couldn't understand it either as it was just a USB cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.