1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Canadians & roam free

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Julie888, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone tried the roam mobility phone plan? London Drugs is selling the SIM card for roam for $20. You need an unlocked phone. Once you are in the US, you pay by the day, week, etc. It seems very similar to plans that are available to Americans. Unlimited Talk & Text start at $3 per day.

The rates aren't as cheap as Tracfone, etc. Right now my Tracfone is active all the time in the US and I'm only using it a couple of weeks out of three months. The problem is that it's a piece of junk phone. I'm
    thinking it would be better to use a good phone and have more reliable service.

Anyone used roam?

The small r on roam isn't a typo. That's how they spell their name.

2. Quixote

Quixote Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't used it, but I have done the same thing with T-Mobile whenever I'm in the States. The difference seems to be that T-mobile does all the same things for half price. i.e. it's a $10 sim card and $2/day for voice/text/data.

The downside is that you need to go to a T-mobile store and the nearest one to the strip is on Flamingo and Maryland. roam has the advantage that you can get the sim card at your leisure back here in Canada. Basically it's whatever your time is worth.

3. dernsky

dernsky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my wife used roam from hawaii, worked great. we paid 50 bucks for a phone and simcard. when you turn it on for the first time(in the usa) it will show your phone number. you keep the same number if you use the phone at least once a year.weekly, daily rates on the website. a week of unlimited talk and text back to canada or in the usa is $21. three days $9. now we only pay the 21 bucks per trip now.

4. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Quixote and dernsky. Does seem like there's a $ advantage to using T-mobile. If we're renting a car, it might be worth the side trip to the T-moblile store. Like you say, time is valuable in the Vegas so without a car the little bit of savings might not be worth it.

It is a bit more money to purchase in the Canada. The way our Canadian dollar is heading, it might balance out. :grrr:

5. pikabu

pikabu Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've used Roam Mobility (roammobility.com/) several times now for US trips. The advantage is that you get a US phone number before you leave Canada. You can keep that number (as long as you use your SIM card every year).

We've used their customer service a couple of times too - not bad.

6. Elaine Vegas

Elaine Vegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We unlock our phones and bought a tmobile sim card. Very cheap to use.

7. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at Tmobile, their plans didn't seem to include free calling to Canada. Correct? Anyone found plans that include this?

8. slamminchic_25

slamminchic_25 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    do you have a cell phone in canada now? what carrier are you with?

9. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a AT&T Go Phone sim but in the end to add data on after they took it away from their $2/day plan made it quite expensive. I've since gotten a T-Mobile pre-paid sim and account using their $3 a day plan which includes data at 3G speeds. For $2 a day you can get it with EDGE speeds.

10. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to t-mobile last November. Works great in Vegas on my iPhone 4 in 3G. Can't beat the $3 plan for data, talk and text (or $2 if you stay limited to 2G speeds). Calls to Canada are $0.49 a minute but incoming are free so just get people to call you. Many 10-10-xxx are like 2 cents a minute.

I got mine in E. Flamingo approaching S. Maryland pkwy. It's right in front of Target. The Sim cot me nothing and just bought $20 of cards for my trip ($3 get debited each day you use it). I didn't have a car, but took the bus in front of Bally's and was there in about 10 mins. :beer:

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an American T-mobile pay as you go with sim card that fits in my regular Wind Samsung phone. We used to use trac phones (which were crap) and this is easier because it's essentially my phone, my contacts etc. No issues with T-mobile. $3 a day and I can't remember how much per week if you buy a week at a shot. But a tether thingie and you've got your own wifi hotspot for your tablet or netbook or laptop.

12. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was ready to get the T-mobile until I realized it's not great for me.

I carry my Canadian phone with a US long distance plan. My husband would be paying $.49/min to call my Canadian phone number even while I'm in the US. I might as well just buy the roam card here.

I will check if Bell has any good offers. That plan is nearly up so might switch to Telus next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.