1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Canadian Rockies golf trip back on!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Hot damn. Last summer's cancelled -- flooding, Woe Canada, sorry you guys got nailed -- trip is back on the books. A week in June. Banff. Jasper. Tres bien!!!!

2. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have fun, we had to cancel our 1st anniversary to calgary because of that flood. I used to live there, i was so excited to show my husband my old stomping grounds and was heartbroken but even more for those families. I had a cousin affected.

Have you ever been there before?

3. ken2v

Many many many years ago. And I've never played golf up there in them thar hills. Stanley Thompson here I come!! (Golfers with no lives will understand that one.)

Hope you can get your trip rescheduled!

4. Simmy

Simmy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Watch out for the elk and Grizzlies! I hear you get a do over if you hit one though. Hahahaha

5. sweetcanadian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be a long time before we can get out that way now. We have to rip our porch off and redo it :(.

You will have a blast i am sure, wildlife all around.

6. ken2v

Played with black bears on the course in Whistler and Mammoth. Plenty of deer. Javelina in AZ, bobcats all over and a cougar once here. Elk in Oregon. But never to the density the critters hang out at Banff Springs. And if it's a grizzly, I'm gone. Heard moose are the nastiest, however.

Sorry about the porch detour.

7. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Moose there are like gators here. Stay in the short grass and you won't see 'em.

8. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

a week in june. up here, we call that spring.

9. ken2v

I'm going to freeze, Glen, I have no doubt. lol And Jeff, what is the short grass?

10. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Ken - welcome to our part of the golf world!

After all the input and great advice that I have received from you over the years about golf in the Las Vegas and greater area, I hope to return the favor a bit!

I assume that you are going to golf both Banff Springs and Jasper Park Lodge.

I've played Banff Springs many times - the most recent was when they re-aligned and 'renovated' the course in order to put it back to what Stanley started out. I really noticed this with the bunkering - that is really where they improved the course. As an aside, if you get a chance, try to golf the 'inner 9'. Most don't bother, since it has been added in what most call as an 'afterthought', however, I found it in the best shape, since less damage from wildlife.

Now on to my favorite of the two - Jasper. Simply has a superior layout and design. It has a good mix of open/forest holes and more variety. It ranks up in my top 5, and needs to be experienced once.

As far as any Calgary/Edmonton/mountain course - make sure to ask away - I've golfed over 200 courses in Alberta alone, and, from reading your posts, we tend to share the same criteria when evaluating the course (ie. favorites in Vegas area - Coyote Springs, Paiute, Conestoga, Primm).

And by June, everything should be in great shape (although a bit worried about a bit of 'winter kill' this year - lots of snow on ground for too long this season (got earlier than normal snow cover in October).

Go get 'em!

11. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

It's that long, skinny green patch where you aren't allowed to park your cart while trying to locate your ball.

Seriously, we have encountered moose a couple times, and they ignored us.

12. sweetcanadian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    depending on where your going june shouldn't be that bad. Maybe a tad chilly at night but we got married at the end of june and it was +30 and the hottest day that summer lol. Beginning will be a bit cooler obviously but middle on should be fine.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.