1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

California

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Lawrencelewis, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrencelewis

Lawrencelewis Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi,

I am traveling from the UK for a trip to vegas followed by a few weeks travelling from San Diego upto San Francisco. I have been to Mission/Pacific Beach in San Diego before and will stay here again. Along the way will obviously make some stops along some Cali beach towns nearer LA. I was wondering if anybody could recommend which ones would be better at the beginning of November time? Is there any which people would recommend around this time?

I have got my flight tickets and everything but just trying to plan the rest of trip so any comments would be very welcome.

Thank you.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

From SD to SF -- some road trip thoughts: I'm not sure how you want to break this up. We left So Cal for a reason so I'll leave that area to the remaining natives. Once you get past the congestion ...

Ventura. The 101 splits the place so you have a downtown core that is picking up food and bar steam and then the beachy areas.

Santa Barbara. California's best beach town. Hell, in some sense it probably is CA's best town.

Do you like wine? If so drop me a line and I'll give you some thoughts and names for north Santa Barbara County wine country. The LA crowd has a real love affair with the Santa Ynez/Los Olivos corridor; it's awesome. I'll suggest west of there, between the 101 and the 1 -- Sta. Rita Hills/Santa Rosa Road/Lompoc Wine Ghetto. Also, if you find yourself in Buellton needing lunch or dinner, get yourself to Industrial Eats. And speaking of Santa Ynez/Los Olivos: Food recs for the first are Santa Ynez Kitchen, Red Barn; Wine Merchant Cafe or Sides in Los Olivos. If by some weird circumstance you find yourself in Los Alamos in the evening have dinner at Full of Life Flatbread. (If you saw the movie Sideways, this is where it was filmed, central/western Santa Barbara County.)

Pismo Beach/Avila Beach/San Luis Obispo. Pismo is one of those iconic beach towns. Avila is about two miles as the crow flies but always has better weather. SLO is a few miles inland and is an active, food-mad college town with some history.

OK, now you decide, are you getting to the Bay Area inland via the 101 or up 1 through Big Sur and Carmel? Cool, you chose Hwy. 1.

Morro Bay. Check out the otters by the big rock and DO find Taco Temple for seriously righteous Pacific Mex food ... bring cash.

Cayucos. Just a few miles north, pick up cookies from the Brown Butter Cookie Company.

Cambria. This is the first central coast ville that really feels Monterey Peninsula-esque. Just nose around if driving through or a great place to stay in transit along Moonstone Beach Drive.

San Simeon. Watch for the zebras on the inland side of the 1. Be a tourist, take a couple of the tours of Hearst Castle. A few miles north look for all the parked cars -- folks are watching GOBS of beached elephant seals. Stop and gawk.

OK, gotta go. Playing golf at Cascata today and I gotta start getting it in gear. More later.

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Walking the beach between Venice and Santa Monica is a must-do for people watching and for the sights. The pier is fascinating and beautiful at night.

Bill

4. 6Mermaids

6Mermaids Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want a beach town near LA, I also would recommend Santa Monica- and there is quite a large British community that lives there as well.

If you like San Diego, you would like the Manhattan Beach area. It reminds me of San Diego.

Malibu is cool, too.

Also, you may want to stop in Huntington Beach or Newport Beach on your way to LA. My personal favorite is Laguna Beach. However, if you like Mission/Pacific Beach and the vibe there, I would think your best bet would be Huntington Beach in Orange County and then Manhattan Beach and Venice/Santa Monica once you get to LA.

Have fun!!!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.