1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bus stops on Tropicana

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by keno60, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am planning on taking the 201 up to strip after using the 108 or 109 from the airport, late at night probably 11pm or later. Are the areas sketchy and not well lit.

2. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you will be grabbing the 108 or 109 from the airport, and then getting off at the Tropicana stop, then waiting to catch the 201 from Swenson (108) or Maryland Pkwy (109) to the Strip. There's a better option, as the WAX from the airport will stop right at NYNY (Tropicana and the Strip) without a bus change. Also, I wouldn't want to wait on Tropicana at that time of night in any case. I have done the 108/201 combo to go to In N Out during the day, but it's pretty deserted at Koval and I wouldn't take the chance at night.

Take the WAX from the airport.

EDITED: The last WAX from the airport leaves at 11:08 PM....after this time, take a shuttle to your hotel.

Dave

3. keno60

keno60 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, appreciate the information. I have a shot at the WAX if my arrival is on time. I am flying Allegiant and i will have a back seat so it will be close.

4. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that catching buses that far East on Tropicana or Flamingo with luggage is a bit risky. I don't mind in daylight with luggage or at night without, but I think luggage marks us for possible trouble if the wrong sort of person happens to cross our path.
    An alternate to the WAX (if you miss it) is to take the 109 South to the SSTT and then you can take a strip bus from that terminal. Being at the SSTT terminal with luggage seems much safer than being at a deserted bus stop.
    If you have the senior RTC photo ID, you can also get a 15 day pass in machines at SSTT by putting in the senior ID card and bringing up the senior menu. The cost is $17, and you'll save the first $5 by not having a one way ticket on the strip bus from the SSTT to your hotel, so all the rest of any bus travel for the rest of the trip is just $12. Pretty decent deal.
    If you don't intend to get the bus pass, then the shuttle to your hotel is perhaps the best value.
    Some would buy the round trip shuttle ticket at this time. I don't like how much of the day is wasted by taking the shuttle back to the airport, and I don't like worrying about whether it will show up in time, or I'll get to the airport intime, so even when I use the shuttle to the hotel, I use the bus for my return trip.
    However, I generally go up Flamingo to Silver Seven (Terrible's) and grab a cheap meal at the buffet there, rolling my luggage right into where I sit. It is not the best buffet, but it accommodates me, and the food is better than airport food and about a third the cost.
    Then I can catch the 108 closer to the right time and not have such along wait in the airport. The 108 bus stop across from Silver Sevens across Paradise is not risky during the daytime with luggage. It is well populated there.
    But again, I always have the 15 day or 30 day pass, so I save the entire cost of the shuttle back to the airport.

I am also much happier having my own luggage in my own hands for the whole trip and not having it tossed around in the back of those airport shuttles, perhaps in and out as other folks unload and come aboard. I generally have one large suitcase with camera, sleep apnea machine and small computer inside. These will be carry on luggage when traveling on the plane, but are in my large suitcase for easy rolling and, if mishandled, are breakable during the travel to-and-from the airport.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've also thought about taking the 108 or 109N from the airport to Tropicana and catching the 201 when going to the Orleans (if there's a long wait for the WAX to NYNY), but doubt if I'll ever do it. Those stops just don't look "friendly" even in the daytime; and as Dewey points out, luggage won't make you a less likely target. I don't want to put up a sign reading "Tourist – Just Arrived – Have Money – Free Luggage!" During the day, and certainly at night, I'd either wait for the WAX or take a shuttle or cab. The risk of doing otherwise, even though small, isn't worth it.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.