1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Brady Freed!

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Jjd234, Sep 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So...you are saying we really don't have all the actual rules to peruse, yet you are absolutely CERTAIN of your conclusions?

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I am saying that even if I accepted your conclusions as to the actual rules text, it would still make Belichick a knowing cheater, because he broke the rule as you posted it, and his people were instructed on how to disguise themselves and lie if caught, an instruction that would not be necessary if he believed there was no rule against his actions.

3. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why he was penalized in 2007.

4. Irishkicker23

Irishkicker23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought they were disguising themselves to hide from the coach giving the signals.

5. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By the way, what do you think about the timing of the release of the ESPN expose?
    One week after Deflategate's decision in Federal court, and one week before the start of the NFL season, and SEVEN YEARS LATE?
    No malice intended, or a conspiracy to smear the Patriots with unfounded accusations?

6. akhoya362

akhoya362 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They're just taking advantage of the "firestorm" around Deflategate. Now that coverage on Deflategate has been . . . deflated (largely because, as I've said for some time, it was never really about the actual deflation so much as Goodell's abuse of process), ESPN needs something to tide its readers over until the start of the season on Thursday. -_-

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right, the argument isn't over what he did, it is over how you characterized it.

You said it was a new rule, and that implied thought he was complying/playing a loophole. And the rule was not new. And if he thought he had a loophole he would not have to tell people to cover up.

8. Beacon

Beacon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This article had a pretty good summary of what the rules were and what the Patriots were penalized for http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/199345-the-truth-about-spygate-punishing-success-and-promoting-parity

9. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mortensen has acknowledged that his report was wrong, though he hasn't "apologized", standing behind his "i had a scoop from a trusted source and i ran it. ..and it was wrong but you would've done it too if you were me" schtick. i guess i can buy that.

Where mort really went wrong, though, was he only acknowledged this during radio interviews and the like, but never on twitter. He's said that's his one regret, not retracting on twitter, and that he thought radio appearances were enough to clear the air. Clearly, Mortensen isn't very wise about the power of twitter. He could learn a thing or two about that from paytriple maybe? ;)

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Conspiracy. ESPN is the NFL's bitch. It makes the league look bad for covering up for the Pats but the Pats look even worse and the punishments Godell wants look justified. It don't know if it's coordinated out of NY to go after the Pats or the other teams wanting revenge but I can't believe ESPN would go after the league like this without them knowiing.

11. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It has very little to do with the timing of the deflategate decision, or which way that decision went.

This is a long piece which whether you like it or not involved extensive research and interviews with over 90 people. They likely started it months ago. So, no, its not a cheap shot because the league lost deflategate.

It is timed with the start of the season certainly, because that is when it is likely to get the most attention.

But also recall that this expose is as much about Goodell (and very unflattering about him as it is about the Pats. Yes, it goes into more previously unknown detail about the Pats spying and cheating, both with established facts, and with anonymous accusations and even some unsubstantiated suspicions.

But the basis for doing that is giving a lot more context to how Goodell (mis)handled Spygate, and how that impacted how he (mis)handled Deflategate. The article is about him ruling on spygate before all the facts were investigated, ok'ing the destruction of evidence, quieting details of the story, and even conspiring/pressure NFL personnel to quell a Senator's proposed investigation into the scandal. And it is about how many other owners resented that and felt the Pats got off light. The allegation by Martz that someone at the NFL edited his statement before its release is particularly troubling.

There really isn't a lot of new stuff against the pats here. There is the alleged stealing of the play sheets (which I will go out on a limb and say is also not forbidden by the Ops Manual ... must be fine!), but the rest is just more context and detail about the extent and nature of the spying.

If you read the piece you'll find it is much more revelatory about Goodell.

12. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently there is no NFL rule forbidding the taping of coaching signals. If there is, show me the text from the NFL rule book.
    Otherwise it's just another lie perpetuated by Patriots haters.

14. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And lets not forget Mortonson went on a radio station in Arizona and said both Robert & Jonathan Kraft called him and apologised to him about "How this all went down". I guess he thought no one in New England would find out. Both Krafts have publicly responded that neither of them ever called him and apologised, it never happened.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  15. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the points made by Mike Reiss that was removed:
    "In response to the ESPN report that Patriots employees entered the visiting team’s locker room and stole materials like play sheets, Reiss provided a blast of common sense that was missing from the story: “Security’s extremely tight throughout Gillette Stadium. Don’t think too many people, if any, are casually walking into the visitors’ locker room. And let’s just say they are, who leaves play sheets around?”

Again, I ask: where is the evidence, hard or circumstantial? Hard evidence could be a low-level employee caught red-handed with an opponent's play sheet.
    Circumstantial evidence could be texts or messages between Patriots coaches referring to stolen play sheets.

To paraphrase Jerry Maguire: SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE!

Otherwise, apologize and shut the F*** up.

17. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100803043_like_251839c.jpg

Another thing that bugs me about the ESPN article. They supposedly talked to 90 "sources" and only identified 2 of them? Give me a break. Sure I'll say the New England cheats all the time, just don't quote me on it because I have no evidence and just being a butthurt crybaby because New England always beats us and they win to much

18. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sweetness! Patriots 28, Steelers 21
    "Brady was as brilliant as ever, 25-of-32 for 288 yards and four touchdowns, three of them to Rob Gronkowski. At one point he set a franchise record with 19 consecutive completions."
    "Where is Rog-er? "Where is Rog-er?"

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

19. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey did you see the Patriots CHEAT by moving the end zone sideline? That took away a Steeler TD! LMFAO!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Brick

Brick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PT -- don't know why, but now when I watch the Pats, I think of you. You are a true fan! If Kraft hasn't sent you a ring yet, he should.

That being said, Pittsburgh looks like the old Colts -- all QB and no D. Looking forward to seeing how the Pats perform against a balanced team.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.