1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Boyd Stock

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by bubbakitty, Aug 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I looked last November and if I recall correctly, it was near 6$ a share. Last week in the mid-teens. Any insight as to why? Shoulda-woulda-coulda....but quite a turn of events at least in the market...

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    bk,
    I don't follow gaming stocks much but according to Yahoo the stock price is up compared to last fall.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=BYD+Interactive#{"allowChartStacking":true}

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Summarizing a Merrill Lynch report a few weeks ago:

Positives
    1. Improving conditions in regional markets
    2. Consistent results last few quarters, after stops and starts.
    3. Management has noted they are evaluating both M&A (as acquirers, such as the 50% of Borgata they don't already own) and (probably what is juicing it) REIT conversion/sale leasebacks.

Negatives:
    1. Less intra-quarter visibility into results in LV and AC (as opposed to the regional properties)
    2. Potential to over-leverage in doing M&A
    3. Merrill upgraded it from Underperform to Neutral with a target of $18, so it's already there.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess is you should have bought it last november.

5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had I purchased it would be @ 4.00 $'s or less.

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not into stocks but didn't boyd sell the old stardust property a year or two ago? That means that they got an influx of $$ from the sale. They don't have anything going on in vegas so guess they are doing very well with the extra money from the sale. But this is JMHO as I don't follow what else they are doing around the country.

7. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought in at around #12, so far so good. Of course the question is when do you sell.... I haven't figured that out yet. Same with Caesars, bought a few times at an average price of $5.50 I'm going to let that one ride for awhile. Penn is another one I'm watching. But I may be a bit late.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't follow stocks closely but reading blog reports over the year, they have been doing better in the locals market for a good while now. It's been tough for all the regional operators but they are starting to see results that are at least flat or improving compared to last year. And it's already a company that has tight operations and I don't think any major new projects. As for the sale, they didn't need to cash so much as they aren't paying expenses on a hole in the ground anymore.

9. zing

zing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regional gaming has been improving. Penn National has also been doing well. Even Caesars has improved if you ignore that whole bankruptcy thing.

Boyd hasn't been near $6 since early 2013 though, I'm guessing the OP got their dates mixed up.

10. Guy

Guy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are Gary Loveman and i claim my Five Pounds :)

11. mwig

mwig High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem with gaming stocks is that they react to interest rate swings like banks except that gaming has the super times play multiplier activated. Rates should start rising at some point in the near-midrange future.

My favorite play with these stocks is an outright buy and then write covered calls against them. You typically make 4-8% every couple of months independent of price movement. That said, if the stock tanks you will lose but if you were going to buy anyway you already will have that risk. If it skyrockets, your option will be exercised and you will no longer own the shares. Best case scenario is high volatility around a certain price point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.