1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Book flight and room separate or together?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by lsiunsuex, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm trying to plan a trip to Vegas (our third in 3 years) for late August / early September

The last 2 times we've gone, we've booked the trip via Southwest Vacations - flight, hotel and car all in 1 package.

And thats been great - we think, we've gotten good deals doing it that way

But I get promotional emails from the hotels and I see promotions here and on the individual hotel websites and I'm wondering - is it cheaper to do all 3 separate?

Flight via Southwest, Hotel via a promotion / their website and just get the car when we get there?

Has anyone done it both ways and gotten a better deal one way or the other?

We're feeling Bellagio this year I think. We want to try to have a baby when we return (during? vegas baby?) so this may be our last trip for a few years as we don't have much family to leave an infant / child with for a week.

Kinda 1 last hurrah before I need to become an "adult"

2. Thor

Thor Beer Drinker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i've done it both ways and it really just depends...before we got comped rooms, we always did the vacation packages because it worked out cheapest for us. now, with comped rooms, we just do the flight (obviously).

there have been times that, even with the comped rooms, we have used one of the travel sites (not sure which one) and were able to book a flight for our whole week there, but rented a room one night downtown, and the total vacation cost was less than just the flight. hope that makes sense...

advice...just price them both ways and see what works best for you :beer::beer::beer:

3. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly as Thor said. Most of the time I find it pays to book separate, especially if there's a room comp or promo involved. However, there is a rare occasion where a package actually comes out cheaper than flight alone. So, it pays to check every which way and book the best deal you find. :)

4. rebirth

rebirth Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Separately. If rooms goes down in price. They can give you the lower rate. And you can cancel or change hotels.

5. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, a friend just booked a package at Bellagio for cheaper than the flight would have cost by itself.

6. grosx2

grosx2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would book separately....even if you don't have a comp room up front, you can still have some or all of the room cost comped on the back end, depending on your level of play. Just stop by VIP services before you leave (assuming you don't have a host). If you book a package deal, you have no chance of getting any of the room cost comped.

7. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always booked seperate but (this year) I decided I wanted to stay at Four Seasons and assumed the price would not drop much more than what a package with SWA cost. I booked the SWA package and know Four Seasons will not be discounting, much. Howerver... just got an email from Palazzo and promo rates for Prestige are way cheaper. Kind of kicking myself for locking into a rate that I cannot get out.

8. Rumdranker

Rumdranker Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Price comparison

My first trip was a SW package, great deal.

Last trip, everything was separate.

My suggestion is just do the leg work and compare prices. Recently I haven't seen all in 1 packages of great value, but it could just be my location.

But once you land it's water under the bridge, have fun :beer:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.